Siv's Reviews > The Muse

The Muse by Jessie Burton

liked it

A unique take on the "Haves and Have Nots: Wealth, Power, Talent" theme, set alternately in London in the late-60's and Spain in the late-30's. Odelle, a young woman from the Caribbean, moves with her best friend to London. She has no wealth or power, but she has talent, makes some good decisions, and in the process makes life-changing connections. Her friend shows her a spectacular painting which belonged to his late mother that he might want to sell at auction, and this moment connects them to the story set in Spain in the 30's. Teresa has nothing but her wits; her brother Isaac wields some power but lacks talent; the daughter of their new employer, Olive, has wealth and talent but no power beyond that she dangerously wields over the siblings.

Initially this book felt a little slow, but then I read the entire second half in a day. I just wish I could also have seen the paintings, because Burton did such a beautiful job describing them that I know they would be breathtaking.

"This is what she taught me: you have to be ready in order to be lucky. You have to put your pieces into play" (p5).

Writers may relate: "I knew it was true that I had stalled again on my writing. For once, I was too caught up with actually living my life to stop and turn it into words. People like Lawrie--who never wrote a single line of prose, as far as I knew--seemed to want those who did to walk around with a pad and pencil hanging round their neck, jotting down the whole thing, turning it into a book for their own pleasure" (pp364-365).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Muse.

Started Reading