Renee's Reviews > The Betrayal

The Betrayal by Jerry B. Jenkins

Sep 03, 2011

bookshelves: christian-fiction, mysteries
Read from September 03 to 05, 2011

I’ve always been fascinated by the kind of men and women who decide to become cops. These are the folks who work hard to prevent crime, even to the point of performing daring acts of rescue and self-sacrifice.

But once an illegal act occurs, another side of the cop personality comes out. That’s when police officers follow a careful procedure, a series of steps that helps them solve the crime. They fit the aberrations of human behavior into some kind of manageable form, which provides evidence for prosecutors to use.

Actor Jerry Orbach, who played Lenny Briscoe on Law & Order, first won me over to become a fan of police procedurals. More recently, I discovered the Precinct 11 Series by Jerry Jenkins, which features a great lead character named Boone Drake. Boone is a Chicago cop, who has had to overcome a life-altering tragedy. His story begins in The Brotherhood, where he learns that God can change the hardest of hearts—including his own.

The Betrayal, which picks up where the first book leaves off, shares a harrowing adventure. The woman Boone loves is being framed, and Boone’s life is in danger. He struggles to investigate in spite of the injuries he received at the end of The Brotherhood. Though he’s physically handicapped by his unhealed wounds, his inner man is stronger this time around. His new-found faith helps him win the day against all his enemies.

This series offers fast-paced action, an everyman hero, and a touch of romance, all tied together with a tough cord of faith. If this type of story is not your style, I bet you know someone who would love it. These books would make great gifts for the men in your life, from high school age on up. And Christmas is just around the corner!

Thanks to the Tyndale Blog Network for providing a copy of The Betrayal for me to review. Follow this link to enter a related giveaway at my blog Doorkeeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal.