Ruth's Reviews > A Light on the Hill

A Light on the Hill by Connilyn Cossette

bookshelves: books-read-in-2018, books-read-in-2019
Read 2 times. Last read May 7, 2019 to May 14, 2019.

A Light on the Hill is a captivating story of redemption and second chances set against the dramatic backdrop of the Israelite settling the Promised Land post-Exodus. I'm a bit behind on Cossette's novels, as this is the first I've read since her debut, Counted With the Stars. While I thoroughly enjoyed Cossette's debut, in this, her fourth novel, one can fully appreciate her growth as a storyteller. Her debut was outstanding, but this story captivated my heart and imagination from start to finish.

I have been an aficionado of biblical fiction for decades now, and Cossette is a welcome and fresh voice in the genre. Rather than "limit" herself to retellings of well-known characters (which have their place, and which I love), Cossette sets her novels within an established biblical framework but creates her own characters, breathing fresh life and perspective into classic biblical tales. And perhaps most refreshing, she brings characters into the biblical narrative that are not of Jewish descent, making the faith arc within all the more accessible to any reader not familiar with the Judeo-Christian tradition of the faith.

I confess in my reading of Old Testament texts I never gave much thought to the cities of refuge -- what they were and more importantly, why they were established. But as Moriyah's story unfolds, I was so impressed at how Cossette wove the Levitical history and principles into the narrative in such a way that it reveals how the existence of these cities foreshadows the redemptive work of Christ. Taken at face value, the law of the Old Testament can seem unbearably harsh and unforgiving by modern day standards. But what Cossette reminds one of within these pages is that everything in the Old Testament foreshadowed the grace, provision, and redemption within the New.

And lest I forget, the romance! Cossette has outdone herself here and I NEED A DAREK. Can someone tell me how to find one, ASAP?! The romance Cossette has penned between Moriyah and Darek is absolutely breathtaking. That alone would make this novel outstanding, as their relationship is beautifully, heartstoppingly realized on the page. But coupled with a deft, thought-provoking examination of the law and mercy, the resulting alchemy on the page makes A Light on the Hill unforgettable. This is a story I want to revisit, and often.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Light on the Hill.

July 2, 2017 – Shelved