Thomas Edmund's Reviews > Status Anxiety

Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton

liked it

In his 300 page thesis, Alain De Botton provides us with a thorough examintion of status, and the anxiety which stems from not having it. The blurb initially makes a comparison between romantic desire and the desire for status or 'world love', but rather than looking into status desire as an individual trait, the majority of the book explores cultural perspectives on what is considered high-status.

The strongest chapters discuss how we perceive status as a comparative idea, and how what is considered high status has changed throughout history. There seems to be a lack of dicussion on how status relates to power in society and what that means for people, and given that Botton discusses issues from Art to Bohemians I'm sure a discussion on authority and power could fit in somewhere.

Still this thesis will provide all the insight you're after if you're feeling a little jaded about the rat-race. Or maybe give you a few psychological conversation factoids , whilst you chew you caviar around the twelve piece dinner table.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Status Anxiety.

Finished Reading