All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Stolen Away

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in January, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Even though I haven’t been technically a young adult for more than a decade, I read a lot of YA, like 100+ titles a year. To date, I’ve read everything that YA author Alyxandra Harvey has written. With one recent exception, I’m a big fan of her Drake Chronicles series, and I flat out loved her Victorian ghost story, HAUNTING VIOLET. When I heard she was writing a new stand alone about faeries, I jumped at the chance to read it. Unfortunately, STOLEN AWAY wasn’t half the book I was hoping it would be.

First of all, it’s short. Really short (288 pages) and it feels like it. All the character developments, romances, and major plot points are rushed. So instead of learning through action and dialog about, for example, Eloise’s kitschy love for rockabilly, we just get told that she loves it. Ditto for Jo’s obsession with all things British. It made both protagonists feel very two dimensional. The romances, specifically Jo’s, happened so fast that I got whiplash. She meets a strange guy, invites him back to her house, and is sharing ‘heated kisses’ with him and wondering why no guy has every made her feel that way before. The whole thing made Jo seem needy and desperate—not to mention incredibly stupid—not characteristics I enjoy in a heroine.

The main plot about Eloise getting trapped in Faery, escaping, and then mounting her own rescue operation felt tedious despite how quickly everything happened. Worse was how quickly Eloise accepted the Faery world. It was a bit like, “I can’t believe Faeries exist, but I guess they do, so let’s go!” Seriously, that’s not much of an exaggeration.

I’m still a fan of Alyxandra Harvey, and will continue to keep an eye out for her books, but after two disappointments in a row, I’m going to have to start giving them the excerpt test before buying in the future.

Sexual Content:
Kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Away.