Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Black Path of Fear

The Black Path of Fear by Cornell Woolrich

Sep 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, 2011

Scott and Eve thought they escaped her gangster husband by fleeing to Cuba. They are proven wrong when she is knifed and Scott looks like the killer. Can he clear his name and get out of Cuba alive?

Yeah, I just couldn't get behind this one. I like Cornell Woolrich but his stories are always hit or miss with me. This one is a miss, unfortunately.

I'm not sure why this one rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's because the main character was such a dipshit. By the time I was halfway through, I was really hoping he couldn't clear his name and he'd be executed in Cuba.

Other than that, it has all the Woolrich standards. The suspense was good, the female characters fell into the usual Woolrich categories, and the man on the run feel was consistent throughout. Too bad I had a hard time paying attention.

The Black Path of Fear isn't a horrible book. I think it was a case of the wrong book at the wrong time for me rather than life being too short. It's not bad but I just can't recommend it. Woolrich has written much better books than this one and you'd be better served spending your time with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Path of Fear.

September 2, 2011 – Shelved
December 1, 2011 –
page 80
December 3, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
December 3, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Traci (new)

Traci Dipshits never make good main characters!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Traci wrote: "Dipshits never make good main characters!"

Not in crime books! Arthur Dent did pretty well for himself though.

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci Yeah, I thought about that sort of thing after I posted the comment :D