Vong's Reviews > The Witches and the Singing Mice

The Witches and the Singing Mice by Jenny Nimmo

F 50x66
Sep 02, 2011

I read this with a child after RRR he chose this book because he liked cats and the cover looked interesting.
It is a tale about 2 black cats thayt set out to save children in the Highland Village. They have been put to 'sleep' by 3 evil witches who seek revenge on their (the chns) parents.
The illustrations add to the eerie narrative. There is a heightened sense of mystery surrounding these witches because they are so tall, dark and cold towards the village people.

I would use this as a starting point for stories around the world. The pupils could possibly write their own versions?
Might be suited for older chn perhaps because its quite scary.

Would definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches and the Singing Mice.

Vong An amazing and chilling read even for adults. The illustrations further the disturbing storyline. Would definitely recommend.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison If you give the book a star rating then go to "edit review" and write a review, you will be able to retrieve it to complete your children's literature task at the end of the course.

Vong Ok thanks Alison.

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison Jenny Nimmo's a great children's author. I love her The Snow Spider Trilogy. Children who like Harry Potter may also enjoy Midnight for Charlie Bone.

message 5: by Vong (last edited Jan 09, 2012 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vong Alison wrote: "Jenny Nimmo's a great children's author. I love her The Snow Spider Trilogy. Children who like Harry Potter may also enjoy Midnight for Charlie Bone."

I remember my yr5 teacher reading the snow spider to us but we never got to hear end of the book. So i took it! ...and i think i have it somewhere in my wardrobe.
Will dig it out and finish the story!!