maricar's Reviews > Where the Sidewalk Ends

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Apr 18, 2008

bookshelves: favorites, fiction-for-youngsters

quirky yet sentimental...

honestly i had reservations about picking up this book, poetry and me not really being the closest of buddies. then of course the fact that this was supposedly meant for toddlers and such (disdainful much??).

it wasn't long before i was shown the depths of my arrogance. hopefully never again...(but who knows).

okay. to the point. i ADORED this book.

a lot of the poetry here are funny (not outright hilarious, more like plain goofy), and yet come to think of it, still some of those are actually quite sad, with undertones about life and life experiences we take for granted. like the "Snowman", "Invention", "What's in the Sack?", "I Won't Hatch!", "The Garden", "The Little Blue Engine", and even the subtly poignant "Love".

whether you actively seek a moral in any of the poems or just want to go for some light reading, this book (in my opinion) is sure to leave you with a wistful feeling. exactly about what...well, i can't say. but i loved it. and for me that's more than okay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Finished Reading