Holli's Reviews > The Dark Divine

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: library, audio-books, family-relationships, high-action, paranormal, romance
Read from September 13 to 14, 2011

The Dark Divine is truly an amazing book! It captured my heart from page one, and took me on an amazing ride of suspense, mystery, conviction, and unconditional love.

Bree Despain took a traditional stance with werewolves, but added a twist. These are not mere shape shifters like current novels would portray, but more like the fairytale monsters we imagined them to be as children. I appreciated the amount of back history she put into their origin of the Urbat. The contrast their original nature as Heaven's Hounds, to their later downfall, Hounds of death.

The Divine family is one that I totally related with! The character's of this family were developed so well, they are believable. My heart broke for our prodigal ... Daniel, with his tragic childhood. It only made his redemptive story all the more endearing. I had a box of tissues next to my chair and used them often! :)

Honestly, I would implore you to pick up a copy of this book and read it now instead of reading this review. It is everything it promises to be and so much more.

Artistically beautiful, The Dark Divine is a story with redemptive qualities where true love conquers all!

Now it's time to go hunt for Jude in "The Lost Saint"!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Divine.

Quotes Holli Liked

Bree Despain
“That's what makes it so right. Your eyes—your soul is there, but the rest of you is still so undefined. That's the beauty of childhood. The eyes show everything you've seen so far, but the rest of you is still so open to possibility, to whatever you might become.”

Bree Despain
“I almost laughed in spite of my nerves. What were the odds that two werewolves had the hots for
me? Like I was some gigantic monster magnet. Was there a sign on my back that said, bite me,
i'm available !?”

“There are a lot of bad things out there. Things the Hounds of Heaven were
created to destroy." He trailed his finger down the side of my face. "I can't be the hero you want
me to be--at least not in that way. But you can, Grace. You don't have to become one of the dark
ones. You can fight it. You can turn this curse into a blessing. You can become the hero. You
can become truly divine.”

Bree Despain
“You hated me that much?'

'No.' I grabbed a branch and pulled myself up, my back still to him. 'I missed you that much.”

Bree Despain
“We don't forgive people because they deserve it. We forgive them because they need it—because we need it.”

Bree Despain
“My inner wolf seeks to destroy the one I love for reasons of self-preservation. For the only cure to free my soul is to be killed, in an act of true love, by the one who loves me most..”

Bree Despain
“I will be the monster for you.”

“Kiss me."
"What? Give it back."
"Kiss me and I'll give it back.”

Bree Despain
“Remember Grace, if you let anger into your heart, it will push out your ability to love.”
tags: anger

Bree Despain
“God is the ultimate judge of what is truly in our souls. But we are requiered to forgive everyone.”

Bree Despain
“Some people are desperate because they don't know how to ask for His grace.”

Bree Despain
“What can you do how much can you give to bring grace and salvation unto even one soul”

09/14/2011 page 115
09/14/2011 page 284
76.0% "ahhhhhhhhhhh stop avoiding him! :("
09/14/2011 page 295
79.0% ""the only way to free my soul from the demon's clutches is to be killed by thee. My inner wolf seeks to destroy the one I love for reasons of self-preservation. For the only cure to free my soul is to be killed, in an act of true love, by the one who loves me the most." WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
09/14/2011 page 341
92.0% "JUDE!?!?!?!??? :O"
show 2 hidden updates…

Kristina Snyder I think you will love this series!!!!! I did!!! The next book doesn't come out until January now.

Holli I'm looking forward to it! :)

Kristina Snyder What do you think so far?

Holli I LOVE Daniel! :)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie I loved this series too, I can't wait til The Savage Grace! I love Daniel aswell! <3 :)

Kristina Snyder Savage Grace was suppose to come out in December, but now we have to wait until March. I love Daniel!!! Wait until you get to book 2, and see the cliffhanger Holli.

Holli Ugh! Don't tell me that. I hate cliff hangers!

Kristina Snyder Yeah. I read it over and over. I have been waiting a year on book 3.

Kristina Snyder If you are on the part I am thinking, that was a shocker to me as well.

message 10: by Holli (last edited Sep 14, 2011 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holli I'm so close to finishing but I'm trying to put the kids to sleep and then I'll be done in thirty minutes. :) This is the one I took out from the library. I got online to search for book two, they have it in every library in my county but my library. I put a request in for it to be sent but I don't know how long it will take so I'm thinking I may have to hit one of the other libraries close by to get it, because I'm much too impatient to wait! :)

Holli Oh and both books are on my list to buy this week! LOL I'm horrible!

Kristina Snyder LOL Your not horrible!! I just ordered books as well. Had to get Hades. So I take it that you are loving this series?

Holli LOVE IT! I finished it, have to write a review.

♥Rachel♥ I loved this book too! The next book is really good as well but there's a cliffhanger! At least we only have til March for the last book though!

Holli My local library had number two in stock so I grabbed it along with five other books! LOL I guess it will make my huband's wallet feel better, ... for the time being. ;)

Kristina Snyder Yeah book 2 has a major cliffhanger, but I love this series!!!! Can't wait to see what happens.

♥Rachel♥ Holli, I hear you about the husbands wallet. My husband wants to murder me sometimes about the money I spend on books!

Kristina Snyder My hubby too!!!! He tells me to go to the library, but I tell him I like to reread them so I win!!!!! LOL I have two book shelves completely full that I now I am stacking them. I have my own library started.

Holli I buy books and go to the library. I'm double trouble! LOL

Holli Okay, so why do I have the distinct feeling that Grace is dancing with the Devil. There is something not right about this Nathan character, and what in God's name is up with Daniel and his tude? Does he not see that if he doesn't start talking, Grace is going to fall into a trap and lose herself? UGH! MEN!

Kristina Snyder Men never think before they act!!!! LOL

Holli I'm pissed at Daniel. Plane and simple. Mr. .... "I just want a normal life. Can you put this hero stuff aside for me?" And then he is out looking for information, talking to Mushka and at some bar, while telling Grace he is sick!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM!!! :/ Meanwhile, he has NO CLUE she is hanging with this Tal dude.

Kristina Snyder Wait till you see the end!!!!

♥Rachel♥ I hear you Holli & Kristina. This book was a little maddening! Daniel needs to get his head straight & the ending......let's just say we need book three STAT!

Holli UGH! Daniel needs a foot up his rear end! :/

Kristina Snyder He does, but he redeems himself. Yes Rachel, we need that book now. That situation better get fixed.

Holli Grace is going to hand herself over to the wolf due to this dude who seems to be infatuated in her for whatever reason. Maybe she is a true Alfa? I don't know, I'll have to read and see how it pans out, but I just KNOW this is who Jude keeps trying to warn her about! And April just makes me giggle. Bedazzling Grace's stake! Bwahahahahaaaaaaa!

♥Rachel♥ Holli you crack me up! I like your way with clueless men: "Daniel needs a foot up his rear end" I love it!

Holli He does! What is wrong with him? I KNOW men can simply not be THAT clueless! How does he NOT want to check in with her, find out what she is doing, and not see any change in her at all? Grrrr. Okay, I have to finish this book before It drives me insane! LOL

Kristina Snyder Yes Holly you need to finish it to see how it out turns out. You will be shocked!!!! It blew me away. I kept turning the page to nothing and thinking "come on, really?"