Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > The Night Market

The Night Market by Jonathan   Moore

47207032

liked it
bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley

One of the most awesome aspects of Jonathan Moore's most recent books is how they are all stand alone novels set in a central world; each book falls under a different genre (psychological thriller, police procedural, dystopian thriller) and are set in different time periods. This being the third (dystopian thriller), I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It did have some similar vibes to The Dark Room; there was a bit of romance mixed in with some darker, suspenseful themes, but replace procedural with mobster/conspiracy theories and you'd have a clearer picture of what this book is.

While I loved the blending of lighter elements into the darker structure of TDR, I felt that the romance was a little too strong for my taste in this book. It's worth mentioning that this genre is not my typical go-to; in fact, I rarely read it and I feel like those who enjoy this type of story will appreciate it's subtle nuances much more than I was able to. The writing style is exquisite, and the ending was a nice little one-two punch, so I think I'm in the minority when feeling that the overall story was just a 3 star. Maybe I felt a little hurried along throughout the narrative and wished there had been just a little more meat to give it a few extra pages. Regardless, Moore is incredibly talented and will remain on my list of one-click authors. I admire his bravery at investigating many genres and tying them together in such a fun way.

Many thanks to the publisher for providing my copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Market.

June 30, 2017 – Shelved
November 30, 2017 – Started Reading
November 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Great review as always, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Erin wrote: "Great review as always, Chelsea!"

Thank you so much Erin!

Holly  B The romance through me a bit too Chels!

Chelsea Humphrey Holly wrote: "The romance through me a bit too Chels!"

Well, I’m glad it wasn’t just me! 🤣 I can’t really even say why I didn’t take to it this time; there wasn’t anything particularly wrong with it. Maybe I just didn’t want the distraction.

message 5: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Nice review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Dianne wrote: "Nice review, Chelsea!"

Thank you Dianne!

message 7: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran Great review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Fran wrote: "Great review, Chelsea!"

Thank you Fran!

message 9: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Great review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Thank you so much Crumb!

message 11: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Fabulous review, Chelsea !

Chelsea Humphrey Thank you Megan!

message 13: by Amitaf0208 (new) - added it

Amitaf0208 i was hoping this was going to be like Night Film - lol. Still reeling from that book and the characters - loved it.

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Chelsea!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Fantastic review, Chelsea!!!

Chelsea Humphrey Amitaf0208 wrote: "i was hoping this was going to be like Night Film - lol. Still reeling from that book and the characters - loved it."

Definitely not. 🤣 i Loves Night film too though!

Chelsea Humphrey Alex ★ Comets and Comments ★ wrote: "Fantastic review, Chelsea!!!"

Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Chelsea!"

Thank you so much!

message 18: by sue (new)

sue Sounds interesting

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Sue!

message 20: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad I liked it a bit more than you, it was a 4 star, close to 4.5 star read for me. Fair take on the book though. It was my first by Moore and I do enjoy the elements he was playing in here.

Chelsea Humphrey Tad wrote: "I liked it a bit more than you, it was a 4 star, close to 4.5 star read for me. Fair take on the book though. It was my first by Moore and I do enjoy the elements he was playing in here."

I’m truly glad you enjoyed it Tad!

message 22: by Maureen (new)

Maureen DeLuca You write amazing reviews! I wish I was 1/2 as good as you-!! Your group is wonderful too- so much great info on books- Happy and Healthy 2018 to you and your family - and keep up the great work that you do for all of us on GoodReads!!

Chelsea Humphrey Maureen wrote: "You write amazing reviews! I wish I was 1/2 as good as you-!! Your group is wonderful too- so much great info on books- Happy and Healthy 2018 to you and your family - and keep up the great work th..."

Thank you so much Maureen! I so appreciate that and hope you have a wonderful 2018 as well! 🤗

Danny Danger did u read the dark room? we meet ross carver when he was a little kid! so cool