Don's Reviews > On Humanism

On Humanism by Albert Einstein

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: ethics, history, philosophy-religion, social-political-commentary

As one would expect when reading something by Einstein, this collection of essays was incredibly thought-provoking. Both for internal reflection, but also for how society as a whole moves towards a realistic passion for peace and security. Having been mostly familiar with his scientific work, I was amazed to see how active he was in writing about political and social concerns, and specifically, how much he advocated for a world organization much like the United Nations, but with more authority. I imagine that being involved in physics the way he was, and living right at the beginning of the atomic weapon age, plays a large part in his philosophies; but in so doing, we also get a rare glimpse into thought history in understanding how these events played on one of the great intellectual minds of the 20th century. It was also educational to read his tributes to fellow scientists such as Planck and Curie, for their historical context as well. Not every essay is earth shattering profound, but collectively they make one think, and provides a glimpse into the mind of a brilliant thinker.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Humanism.