Yesha's Reviews > Son of Set

Son of Set by Kelsey Ketch

bookshelves: fantasy, r2r, mythology, ya

Note: I received review copy of this book from the author, via Lola’s Blog Tour, in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars
Brilliant and high dose mythology, hot pursuit, thrilling and tense story, unraveling secrets. Everything I wanted in was there in the book. Whatever complain I had for the first book just vanished in the air. This book was better than I expected. There were still no hieroglyphic drawing in this book, may be because I’m reading review copy or whatever reason, still this book was fabulous.

Characters
Natti– Daughter of Isis. Ah! She was so confused. Emotions were running high in her veins. Half of the time I had sympathy for her and rest of the time she was getting on my nerves. Finally she got the glimpse of her power, she started to believe in Sons, Daughters, and Gods. She was learning but slowly. This character was still developing in the book but whatever amount it was, it was good.

Seth– Son of Set. This guy had charmed me. He had 180° effect on me in this book. I loved him more and more as book progressed. Tremendous development. Smart, Logical, gifted, trained, funny, cocky. If I’m in danger and have to run for life, I will take Seth with me, no other character can be such a brilliant protector.

Sean– He was real son of Set. Greed, lust, power hungry, criminal, rapist, deceiver.. Name everything you want in villain, this man had it all. Last thing you want his this person as protagonist’s father. Horrible, isn’t it?

What I liked-
Alternative chapters from Natti, Seth and Sean made the narration interesting. Sean’s view just added horrifying effect in the book. It also gave a hint where the story was going but definitely there were good surprises that I couldn’t have imagined.

Mythology– while in the first book there was just a story of Isis, Osiris, and Set, in this one there was lots of mythical stories, this is what made me give lots of stars to this book. First the book started with story of escape of Isis and 7 scorpions, protector of Isis. I didn’t know about them before this book. It was most interesting story in while book. There was also a story about Cleopatra’s son. Seth’s knowledge about Egyptian mythology in the book enlightened me with many interesting things like, why pyramids are built, about God Thoth, forms Ra, The dead’s shadow. I loved reading descriptions of the Egyptian dressing and the words used for that, symbols of daughters and Deities mentioned in the book.

More importantly I got to know what Natti’s power was and it actually works. That was best scene major turning point in the book. So much wrapped around that part, about Daughters and Seth and emotions of Natti, my head was also spinning with her. And from here on, the till climax and end of the book, it was mind blowing, brilliant, unputdownable. Solving the riddle of Name of Ra just glued me to seat.

Loved relationship of Natti and Seth- This opposite natured duo worked so well in the book. And the ever increasing pool they felt toward each other even they both knew it will be deadly, will bring down the curse, made romance in book so spicy. It was forbidden and so unnatural to have such kind, they couldn’t understand why they had such strong attraction, especially Natti and the questions she put for this connection made the story interesting. It was still not clear in this book but may I will learn along with her more about it in the next book.

Climax and End– At almost 75% of the book, author left me clueless. I guessed few things what will come next but I was surprised by turn of events. Damn! It was so exciting and thrilling I had that cocky devilish grin on my face that Seth and Sean would die to get it. After this point I expected the end. No it was not there. Before last 3 chapter again I thought it will end here. Nope! Ah! I don’t why those last 3 chapters were included in this book. It would have made brilliant beginning for the next book. The end looked dragged and surprised me at the same time. But anyway, I just enjoyed reading it.

Why I didn't give full stars-
Dear Natti. If you have been little less childish I would have given this book more than 5 stars. Why you couldn’t do what you have been told. Be smart in next book and don’t give me that easy-to-say look. Thank you!

Overall, Son of Set was Stupefying, nail-biting with interesting Egyptian mythology and bittersweet romance that I highly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of Set.

June 30, 2017 – Shelved