Sassy Brit's Reviews > Love Me Not

Love Me Not by M.J. Arlidge

Jun 30, 2017

bookshelves: crime, 2017-netgalley-challenge, 2017-books, thriller, mystery, suspense, cop-pi-fbi

Fancy talking about this book? Feel free to visit me here! I'm always up for a chat!

I'm reviewing the book Love Me Not by M.J Arlidge (Helen Grace, #7) .

After a stint in prison, Helen Grace is put through her paces as she comes up against a couple causing violence and mayhem in Southampton. Knowing it's a race against time, Grace and her team throw all they have at this case, hoping to crack it before things spiral completely out of control. Here are my thoughts about what I've read:

^^ I can hardly contain myself. This was an ebook copy from NetGalley and I read to 89% before I noticed how far in I was. Hence to say I enjoyed this story immensely and I'm already looking to find the backlist of this author. But hey, I'm getting ahead of myself. What made this such a great read for me?

^^ The writing was superb. Well-written. Race-against-the-clock stuff. The short timeline of everything happening in 24 hours made the whole read even more gripping.

^^ There was just something about his writing style I could relate to. Maybe because a lot of the (perhaps typically English?) expressions used in this book I use a lot myself. I don't know, but I felt like I connected. The narrative appeared comfortable and familiar. Oh my! Why have I not read the previous 6 books? Clearly, I don't need to have read them all first to enjoy this one. Although, come to think of it, there was a talk of Helen's earlier prison ordeal, but I'd forgotten about that in my race to finish the book, so it can't have affected the story - or at least my reading fun - if I've only just remembered it!

^^ Having not known what to expect when I picked up this book, my first impression of this theme was that is was rather like a Bonnie and Clyde episode, in a Natural Born Killers in England kind of way. A couple on a killing spree for seemingly no real reason than - they can. Then, as the story develops, we find out more about the antagonists and the real reason they are murdering innocent victims.

^^ Incidentally, there's even a quick mention of Eeny Meeny* in this book. Is this a reference to the first book of this series with the same title? (Helen Grace, #1)

*I've not read Eeny Meeny, but it's one of the old (Summer 2014 Richard and Judy Book Club reads), so I hope to get hold of a copy to read for the Richard and Judy BC Goodreads group challenge I'm currently hosting, as I loved this latest book, Love Me Not! (Helen Grace, #7)

I would like to thank both Net Galley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Me Not.

June 28, 2017 – Started Reading