Maggie61's Reviews > Secrets She Left Behind

Secrets She Left Behind by Diane Chamberlain

Sep 01, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011, maggies-favourites
Read on September 02, 2011

Since I read another of Diane chamberlain's books earlier this year I am eager to read them all. I had read a couple of hers previously and while I also enjoyed them a lot my tbr piles had so many other books there and I hadn't read some of them until this year.
This one also did not disappoint. The author writes these novels with stories that are so emotional and thought provoking and reading them you become so involved with the characters. I read the last half of book in one sitting.
This story began in Before the Storm. I think this is one of the only books the author has continued with the same characters. In the earlier book we are introduced to most of the characters of the second. Keith is severely burned in a fire that wouldnt have happened if not for his half sister Maggie and initially her half brother Andy is blamed for setting the fire. In the second book Maggie is released from prison and is not welcomed back by the town she grew up in as many people were affected by the fire; some with the death of a family member.
Maggie made a huge mistake; one that was made with a young romantic heart and while all of us have likely done something stupid in the name of love, most dont have the same consequences as Maggie's. You cannot help but feel for her. She returns from prison and is trying to atone but people are having none of it and are openly hating her.
In amidst all that, Keith's mother disappears and in the revealing of her journals and different viewpoints of others in the book more understanding comes to light. With her writing you can't help but put yourself in the place of the various characters and really understand them.
Diane chamberlain has become one of my favourite authors. I suggest to anyone who hasn't read any to do so.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets She Left Behind.