Jackie's Reviews > The November Girl

The November Girl by Lydia Kang

bookshelves: arcs

That... was actually so good omg I loved it?????

Here are 4 reasons why I think The November Girl was a brilliant read:

THE DIVERSITY: I think we’re all about that diverse life when it comes to picking out books to read, and that was definitely one of the reasons why I decided to pick up The November Girl. Hector is a 17 year old Korean and African American kid who wanted to escape the claws of his abusive uncle so he travels to an island to hide until his 18th birthday aka until he’s finally free.

Anda is the daughter of the lake which makes her this magical creature with a human side. She sinks ships and eats the souls of the dead for a living. In November, she’s the most dangerous which is why she’s called the November Witch. For that reason, the island is abandoned in that time. I believe she is Asian as well, but correct me if I'm wrong!

THE CHARACTERS + THEIR RELATIONSHIP: I was a BIG fan of the characters in this novel! Both of them were really unique and special in their own way. While Hector and Anda don’t speak when they first “interact” with each other, they seem to have a mutual understanding and silent agreement with each other.

Hector was struggling to survive while camping in the woods with barely any food and the constant blast of the cold wind, but Anda made sure he was okay! She’s connected to the island so she can control nature and the weather (yeah, she’s cool like that XD) so she kept him from freezing to death.

They both started to take care of each other as the story went on and it was lovely to see how their relationship progressed. They actually interacted and spoke to each other and I found myself liking these characters more and more. Their relationship was so CUTE and they slowly but surely begun trusting each other. They both brought out something new and different in the other and it was so good to see that <3

Anda didn’t quite know what emotions were and how to deal with them, but Hector helped her open up (without really doing much). They started cooking together and spending time in Anda’s house, and he even cut her hair—they had such simple but intimate and sweet moments and it was so CUUUUTE. THEY WERE CUTE BABIES.

And I love Anda so much??? Her little quirks and her oddness were so… ANDA.

I mean yes, she’s the girl of the lake and she eats people’s souls, but there was one scene where Anda and Hector were raiding a supply camp and Anda pretended like she didn’t enjoy the chocolate bars (she usually doesn’t need Human Food bc she eats… souls… i guess) but then she wandered off and literally inhaled the bars.

And then she came back with an empty wrapper and she reached for the next one LIKE ISN’T THAT THE MOST RELATABLE THING LMAO. The author wrote these characters in a way that made me connect to them immediately AND I WAS LIVING FOR IT.

THE WRITING + MAGICAL REALISM: I am in love with magical realism books and this one was just fantastic.

The way the author connected the aspects of wind, water and nature in general with Anda and how she wrote Anda’s struggles when her mother aka the lake called to her and asked her to succumb was incredible.

The author’s writing made the whole book so atmospheric and magical, and I liked that the writing style corresponded so well with the aspect of magical realism. The whole idea of the story and the plot in general was so intriguing in the first place and the author made it so easy to get immersed in the story.

I’ll definitely be reading more Lydia Kang in the future!

There was an extra spark missing that kept this book from being a perfect 5 star read, but overall The November Girl was wonderfully unique and quirky. I’d definitely recommend it if you love a good magical realism story with great character development and romance.

Read my full review here: https://toomuchofabooknerd.wordpress....

*I received a free e-ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion in any way!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The November Girl.

June 29, 2017 – Shelved
June 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs
November 8, 2017 – Started Reading
November 15, 2017 –
20.0% "i'm reallllllllly liking it so far it's so intriguing"
November 16, 2017 –
28.0% "I know I said the exact same thing in my last update BUT I RLLY LIKE THIS SO FAR AHHHH"
November 21, 2017 –
50.0% "OOOHHHHH shit's about to go down!!! *grabs popcorn*"
November 23, 2017 –
82.0% "i feel so sorry for Hector :("
November 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

julianna ➹ O.O O.O O.O O.O O.O O.O O.O O.O