C.G. Drews's Reviews > Kids Like Us

Kids Like Us by Hilary Reyl

bookshelves: autism, contemporary, disability, read-2017, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kids Like Us.

June 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy aww this book sounds SO SWEET. can't wait to see what you say: the determining factor of whether we should read it or not (no pressure or anything)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

ABOUT DAMN TIME somebody wrote stimming!!! I included it in my work without thinking twice, because I do it so naturally. My son really struggled with pronouns, too! And I often found that repeating was an easy way to make sure I understood what other people meant - because I didn't necessarily realize what they meant, especially if they happened to have an accent I wasn't familiar with or something like that. I have to say, though, that "cure" people are the worst - we're not a disease that needs to be done away with, like cancer!

Elle (ellexamines) Ah Cait this is a really great review! I've seen so much bad and toxic autistic rep that it's great to see there's some good (or mostly good at least) out there.

Susie Wang Have you seen the Netflix show Atypical? I learned a lot about ASD from the show. It was really funny and moving, too. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Taryn @Katie - If you're not disabled (although not all autistic people consider autism a disability!!! - it could be hard to understand, but the notion is harmful. Wanting to change how someone's brain works and literally who they are/how they live differently than you based on disability alone is problematic. The most important thing to learn is not to view autism as a negative thing. Hope this helps <3