Goktug Yilmaz's Reviews > The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement

The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

bookshelves: audio

Thoughts:
- The only way we can really learn is through our deductive process. Presenting us with final conclusions is not a way that we learn. At best it is a way that we are trained.
- If you are like most manufacturers, you will have capacity that is hidden from you because some of your thinking is incorrect.
- The numbers and math is almost always right. However, the assumptions, they were almost always wrong.
- Intuitive, common sense conclusions and solutions are often masked by common practice and need an external trigger.
- The goal of an individual or an organization should not be defined in absolute terms. A good definition of a goal is the one sets us in the path of ongoing improvement.

Efficiency:
- Most of the time, your struggle for high efficiencies is taking you in the opposite direction of your goal.
- A plant in which everyone is working all the time is very inefficient.
- An hour lost at a bottleneck is an hour lost for the entire system. An hour saved at a non-bottleneck is a mirage.
- You need a mechanism to prevent overproduction. That is the first step because otherwise the flow is populated with so many things that shouldn’t be there and then improving the flow does not help the company it just improves and enables us to do faster the things we shouldn’t do in the first place.
- Localized disruptions: The longer the weight is waiting in the queue the bigger it’s disruption to flow. This indicates something, the size of the queue should not be judged by the amount of inventory but according to the length of time the inventory waits.

5 Focusing Steps:
1. IDENTIFY the system’s constraints.
2. Decide how to EXPLOIT the system’s constraints.
3. SUBORDINATE everything else to the above decision.
4. ELEVATE the system’s constraints.
5. If in the previous steps a constraint has been broken, go back to step 1, but do not allow INERTIA to cause a system’s constraint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goal.

June 28, 2017 – Shelved