All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Wolf at the Door

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in October, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

It’s been several years since I read anything by MaryJanice Davidson, but there was a time when I devoured book after book in her frothy, fun Queen Betsy paranormal chick-lit series. WOLF AT THE DOOR is the seventh book in the Wyndham Werewolves spin-off series which features a few well known cameos by characters from the Queen Betsy series.

There were moments where MaryJanice’s trademark effervescent and light writing style really shined, but I found most of this book lacking in terms of character development, pacing, and romance. It bears mentioning that the Wyndham books can all be read as standalone stories with self contained romances in each book, but even with some familiarity with this world and characters, I had trouble getting my bearings.

The book opens and volleys back and forth between werewolf Rachel and human Edward. It was a long time coming before these two even met and I became frustrated with the pacing from that point on. You’d think with this much solo time that I would have really connected with each character individually. No so much. Rachel never once displayed any depth, and Edward came across as overly emotional.

The romance went hot and heavy very quickly, and was injected with humorous dialogue and commentary like I’ve come to expect from MaryJanice, but because I never came to care about these characters, the romance fell flat too.

Overall, I’ll keep my fond memories of the Queen Betsy vampires series, but I’m going to pass on her werewolf series. I need more than sass and snark to overcome dull characters, sluggish plots, and ho-hum romance.

Sexual Content:
A few sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf at the Door.