Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Beartown

Beartown by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: 5-star-books, favorites, read-2018, owned

I could not put this book down, and when I found out there is a sequel set to be released in early June I was ecstatic. I was certainly tardy to the party in reading this and wish I hadn’t waited so long. So, if you were like me and haven’t read it yet – well, you know what I will say next: what are you waiting for?!

In Beartown hockey is everything. The town is counting on the junior hockey team to win a championship – not just for the glory – but for the economic success that would come with it; that is a lot of pressure for seventeen year old boys. The town (parents, former players, board members and sponsors) all say to act in the best interest of the team, but their viewpoints are more selfish than they will ever realize? How far would you go to win? One of the players will commit an act of violence and a young girl will be forever changed. Who will the town rally behind and why? How does one act when the truth could ruin everything?

You will love and you will hate, really hate, some of these characters. If you are like me, you will wish you were written into this story as a character so you would have the opportunity to shut one of them up. My goodness did I despise this character. If you read this, or decide to read, you can only guess who I am talking about. Let’s discuss! The characters you love, you really love. It is pretty simple, you either love them or hate them: the character development – hero or villain – was strong.

There were many characters introduced in the beginning, but I was so engaged in the story that it was easy to keep track. I was a huge fan of the pace and flow, and jived well with author Fredrik Backman’s writing style and the message he set to deliver through his characters. If you are a fan of contemporary fiction, I highly recommend this read.

I have also read Backman’s A Man Called Ove and need to read more of his novels. I cannot wait for the sequel to Beartown, Us Against You, out June 5th!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beartown.

June 28, 2017 – Shelved
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star-books
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Celia Wonderful review, Nikki. I was tardy to the party too. Selected and read it for my book club in January. All of us loved it and, like you, are waiting for No 2!!

Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader) Celia wrote: "Wonderful review, Nikki. I was tardy to the party too. Selected and read it for my book club in January. All of us loved it and, like you, are waiting for No 2!!"

Thank you! The countdown for the sequel has begun...hehe.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (Ginger Mom) Great review, Nikki :)

message 4: by Katiria (new)

Katiria Amazing Review Nikki! :D