JM's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Apr 17, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: ya, z-chosen-one, z-faeries, ya-specfic, setting-hidden-world, setting-usa, fantasy, z-the-sight
Read in March, 2008

YA urban fantasy. Aisling sees faeries. Faeries are vicious: they blind, they kill Sighted mortals. Aisling can't ever let them know she knows they're there. Only now faeries are following her. The Summer King, Keenan, needs a queen. Every other mortal girl he's chosen has failed - has become a vapid Summer Girl, fluttering about him, or a Winter Girl - cursed with the cold forever. Like Donia, the frozen girl on the wolf, who follows Aisling with Keenan, and warns her not ever to trust him. Which, god, Aisling wouldn't - only she's not seeing any paths out of this trap.

There were a lot of things I really liked. The faery descriptions are evocative and work really well with the urban setting. Aisling's initial dynamic with Seth (the non-faery love interest) and Donia's initial dynamic with Keenan are rich and breathlessly compelling. Donia is an especially appealing figure, with her strange, tragic stance and the ways that she's still a teenage girl.

In the end, though - this book doesn't go anywhere particularly powerful. The love story is resolved very early on, and after that there are only external complications. The characters and their relationships don't really grow and change. The impossible situation is resolved with a rather bland compromise, and the momentousness of the choice Aisling faces is glossed over by the terms of the compromise - as though none of the rest of it actually mattered very much, after all that angst.

I liked this book, but I liked it as a sort of snapshot, a mood piece, more than as a story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.

01/14 marked as: read

Jennifer I thought this book was more than great! I loved it. It's funny because I bought it right around the Twilight craze. My intent was to read after I finished Breaking Dawn. But by the I finished Breaking Dawn I didn't want to read Wicked Lovely. I didn't want to give up on my vamps. Well, a year later I picked it back up and literally could not put it down! I spent an entire day laying in the sun reading this book. I loved it and have loved every other in it's series! You will not be disapointed!