Bradley's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

bookshelves: 2017-shelf, sci-fi, worldbuilding-sf

This book was great.

I admit to worrying that he wouldn't be able to keep up the quality from The Martian, and this is definitely a very different kind of tale from that, being half a heist novel but otherwise just a great adventure, but he pulls it off. Better than pulling it off, even. I love his characters and the feel of the moon city, Artemis, is vital and detailed.

But you know what the best part is?

I was thoroughly entertained during the entire read. The pacing is great, the reveals believable, the twists unexpected, and the action, delightful. I really couldn't ask for more when it comes to fun science fiction.

The moon is a great place to have an adventure. There's always the threat of being deported to Earth, the expensive living arrangements, and the law if you're a smuggler, which Jazz is, but there's always suit and engineering and environmental problems to worry about, too. And never forget greed and cupidity and the need to balance being a good person against a ton of intrigue. That's what we've got going on, here, and it's a real treat every step of the way.

No spoilers, but I can easily say that I had a great time reading it from the first to the last page. Nothing could have pleased me more. The read is solid as hell.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

June 28, 2017 – Shelved
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 26, 2017 – Started Reading
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-shelf
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: worldbuilding-sf
August 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

Cathy (cathepsut) Yay! Pity I wasn't in the righ area for NetGalley....

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yay! I'm glad you loved it too 😊

Trish Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "Yay! Pity I wasn't in the righ area for NetGalley...."

Same here. But at least we have the buddy-read in December.

Trish Great review and I'm even more glad that the guy didn't just get lucky with the other book but actually manages to pull of writing of different sorts.

Bradley I did, Melissa! :)

And yeah, Trish, I was more than a little worried that he might have been a one hit-wonder, but maybe I should have had a little faith. I loved his short stories when I read them. :)

Trish Well, many authors are one-hit-wonders so I understand your fear.

message 7: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Yes, another good moon book!

Bradley A VERY good moon book. :)

message 9: by Tal (new) - added it

Tal M. Klein I can't wait to read it!

Hobart Can't wait!

Bradley Well worth it! But fair warning, while it is a very fun read, it's quite different from the Martian! :)

The Captain So so so very excited. I am holding off on this one until I have a day with no interruptions. Glad the first rating I see is a five star one!

Bradley It was very entertaining. That's my first criteria for a 5 star. :) I might give a 5 star to one that isn't so entertaining if it's jammed full of great ideas or really clever awesomeness, but being thoroughly entertaining is numero uno. :)

Being very readable is a HUGE bonus. :) lol

message 14: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Fabulous review Brad! Sounds really good!

message 15: by Arah-Lynda (new) - added it

Arah-Lynda Brad I am so happy to read your 5 star review and to add this without hesitation to my TBR. Thank you.

Bradley Great! :) lol

His name probably has nothing to do with that, of course. :)

message 17: by Adina (new) - added it

Adina Can't wait to be released.

Bradley It's quite fun. :)

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Thanks for the review, Brad. The Martian is the one that got me going full speed down this SFF path a year and a half ago. I am terribly excited!

Bradley I'm sure you'll have fun, but don't expect the same kind of novel! :)

message 21: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Bradley, wow, you must have had the GOOD version cause my library sure didn't.

Bradley LOL well I did get it through netgalley, a proof copy, so who knows? Maybe you got the post post edited version? Maybe someone ripped pages out of your book? :)

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Bradley wrote: "LOL well I did get it through netgalley, a proof copy, so who knows? Maybe you got the post post edited version? Maybe someone ripped pages out of your book? :)"
I think I must have the children's version or something. I know we all have different taste, and that's a GREAT thing. But even if one buys into the science (I don't know enough about the topic, really, to criticize Weir) how can one buy into the logic? When Jazz dresses up as a hooker (she is hiding out) and figures a Chinese man MUST be staying at a Chinese hotel (how stereotypical can you get?) and has the person at the front desk call the room and is told there is no answer, one can't conclude said Chinese man isn't there, why, maybe he is entertaining hooker #1 already. But Jazz does, cause for sure he can't be, say, taking a shower, or a nap, or anything like that. Why, maybe he is having some really good kung pao chicken and can't stop stuffing his face!!! Then she buys expensive scotch at the bar and bills it to his room number (what hotel gives out room numbers to strangers?) I could go on and on, Bradley. This one, for me, is hilariously bad, and the truth is: I can't stop reading it.

Bradley Well, it is a wild heist novel with moon colony window dressing, so you're not wrong. So many heist novels are very short on logic. :) It's the difference between being alone with your shit and having to shovel it around everyone else, along with everyone else. :)

I won't say the novel is science gold, but it is amusing (apparently on multiple levels if you like to make fun). :)

message 25: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz Smith Oh please

message 26: by Lois (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lois R Bradley - liked your review

message 27: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Pearl It is telling of this era when you look at the book reviews. Men love it and women hate it.

Bradley Is that a thing for this book? I don't know. It seems pretty mixed on the divisions. :)

Trish I'm a woman and rated it highly as well. Just sayin'. *shrugs*

Bradley Maybe you ought to consider turning in your woman badge. :)

Trish Pfffft. Come and get it.

Bradley Nah, I'm too much of a girl to try. :)

message 33: by Trish (last edited Oct 30, 2018 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trish Bwahahahahahahaha! That's right, for a moment I forgot.

Bradley I have the right hat on... don't I? Gotta remember what personality I'm supposed to be. :)

Trish According to the Doctor, you can never go wrong with a fez. ;)

Bradley Reminds me of the old joke about ten-gallon hats and the reason why some cowgirls are bow-legged.

message 37: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Pearl Bradley wrote: "Is that a thing for this book? I don't know. It seems pretty mixed on the divisions. :)"

Could be how it showed up in my feed, however, on a quick count 7 out of 10 1 and 2-star reviews were women and 8 out of 10 4 or 5-star reviews were guys. Not that I put that much stock into it but I can understand why women, in particular, may have issues with the book. In reality, her dialogue comes out more manly than a woman. At least based on the type of women that I generally associate with.