Dawnie's Reviews > Spoonbenders

Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory

it was ok
bookshelves: e-books, netgalley-books, read-2017

*thanks to NetGalley, the publishers and the author for providing me with a free ecopy of this book in exchange for a (clearly) honest and unbiased review*

This book was very strange -which i was expecting! I mean com on! We are talking about a family that apparently is able to perform magic. So clearly it was going to be strange.

But it was too strange for me if that makes any sense.

I hated the opening scene of this book.
Which is not a good way to start a book for me! I do always have a hard time connecting to a book if the first few pages do not work for me! It just sets the tone for the entire book for me, and sadly in this one? It was not working for me!
But i am just not a big fan of being greeted with a masturbation scene where a male cousin gets off on watching his female cousin.
Because just... NO!

I am sorry but NO!
Can we please just finally move on from sexualising family members??

So that CLEARLY didn't work for me.
And while the rest of the story was okay, it was also quiet boring and moving in a way to slow pacing for me to really get invested into the story.

I liked Buddy, but the rest i was just not caring at all for.

I also wasn't really enjoying the constant switch between the characters because i always felt like the one i wanted to hear more about was just not getting enough pages!

The writing was okay, but once again nothing that kept sucking me back into the story, and since how the story was actually told wasn't really working for me, i can't say that i loved the writing.

And as i said, if i start a book and want to close it right away again because the start makes my interest go away in seconds? That book has to pack a BIG punch to actually impress me.

This was not doing that for me.

So sadly, this book didn't work for me.

If you like strange books and don't mind slow pacing and unnecessary many character points of views but pretty good writing?
give this a try.

If not... maybe stay away from this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoonbenders.

June 27, 2017 – Started Reading
June 28, 2017 – Shelved
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: e-books
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-books
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 28, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Travelin (new)

Travelin I started a fictionalized account of the life of Copernicus which started with a description of him masturbating. Book dropped, like a librarian's specimen...

Dawnie Travelin wrote: "I started a fictionalized account of the life of Copernicus which started with a description of him masturbating. Book dropped, like a librarian's specimen..."

completely understandable!