Joseph Thomas's Reviews > Death Knocks

Death Knocks by Miranda Hardy

Jun 27, 2017

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, horror, ya, urban-fantasy, suspense

Death Knocks by Miranda Hardy and Jay Noel takes a lesser known urban legend of Black Eyed Kids and turns it into a suspenseful, fun read. Maverick is about to start his senior year in high school and is spending the evening with his best friend playing video games when a knock at the door changes his whole life.

I thought that Hardy and Noel do a great job at writing characters that were likable, relatable, and yet flawed. Stakes are continuously raised throughout the story and the pacing was done well. The story kept moving forward at a good pace.

Memo from the nit-picking department: While this didn't bother me enough to diminish my enjoyment of this book, it did nag at me. The book seemed to take place in the modern time of 2017is (there were game consoles and cell phones), yet not once was the possibility that the black eyes were caused by special contacts which exist. It just felt this possibility was overlooked.

I listened to this book on audiobook narrated by Jeff Simpson. Simpson did a good job making each voice distinct and bringing the characters to life, using different inflections and accents in an enjoyable way. The quality of the recording was excellent as well.

**I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Knocks.

Started Reading