heidi's Reviews > Libby's London Merchant

Libby's London Merchant by Carla Kelly

19026

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, romance, ebook

Carla Kelly writes a bunch of what she calls "Dukeless Regencies", where the people are just ordinary, usually middle-class folks with jobs. This is not that, there is a duke in the mix, bubt it's very much built in the world where people worry about paying bills and experience real things like roasting hops and accepting social status gaps.

This one is unusual in that it tackles PTSD, alcoholism, and traumatic brain injury, without trying to sell us on any miraculous cures or sudden changes of personality. People have stuff they gotta live with, and work around, and that's just the way it is.

I was a bit worried when I realized it was set up as a love-triangle story. It's not my favorite genre, as it usually comes with a lot of crap about deciding with your heart instead of your head, but this one neatly inverted my expectations. No one in this story is a villian, but lots of people have some growing up to do.

I'm always going to be a sucker for romance heroines who acknowledge they have feelings and then don't bother to disclose them to irrelevant parties. It's just so satisfying to watch them get on with their lives instead of pining

Read if: You like a sweet romance, in both senses of the word. There's nothing here to bring a blush to the cheek.

Skip if: Your romance catnip is strictly enemies-to-lovers or something with high conflict.

Also read: Frederica, by Heyer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Libby's London Merchant.

June 27, 2017 – Started Reading