Eric's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Sep 01, 2011

bookshelves: neal-stephenson, audiobooks, action-adventure-thriller, 1000-page-tomes
Recommended for: People looking for a good intro point to Neal Stephenson
Read from May 11 to August 04, 2012

This book is an engaging, globe-trotting techno-thriller adventure with some of my now all-time favorite characters -- Billionaire game-designer Richard "Dodge" Forthrast, Hungarian hacker Csongor, former Spetsnaz agent Sokolov, MI6 operative Olivia Halifax-Lin, Massachussets-born CIA agent Seamus Costello, and all-time great antagonist Welsh-African jihadist Abdallah Jones.

There aren't too many books I've read in the 1,000 page range -- The Lord of the Rings, The Stand, The Wise Man's Fear, and a few others -- but there aren't any, with the notable exception of this book, where I wanted the story to be longer. After 1,044 pages, I still wanted to read more about these characters. I know, I can't believe I'm writing that, either.

This book is also a great entry point into the brilliant but dense and often long-winded Neal Stephenson. It is set in modern times, with the most difficult concept found within being the intricately detailed massively-multiplayer-online-roleplaying-game T'Rain. No cyberpunk (Snow Crash), nano-technology (The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer), cryptography (Cryptonomicon), or invented languages (Anathem) here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.