Mercurybard's Reviews > Startide Rising

Startide Rising by David Brin

Sep 01, 2011

bookshelves: scifi
Read in September, 2011

An intense ride of a book--the battle overhead, the intense interpersonal conflicts down on the planet. Brin once again brings the weird alien mysteries that I love--what exactly are the drill trees and metal mounds? He still hasn't answered "did humanity have a patron?" and added the new one of "who is Herbie and what is up with the derelict fleet?"

Half of the POV characters are dolphins. It takes a moment to wrap your head around it, but their characterization is just as rich as the humans. I'm still trying to reconcile the idea of how they would work as space travelers, but there you go.

Toshio was your basic Young Adult Male on a Journey to Maturity. Gillian and Tom--students of Jacob Alvarez from Sundiver--were as badass as their mentor. But the wonderful thing was their union. They love each other deeply and passionately but are still willing to make hard choices with a minimum of whining.

The Niss's line at the end: "You few lost Earthlings have accumulated, in the course of heaping disasters upon yourselves, more data than my masters have gathered in the last thousand years." sums it up perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Startide Rising.

05/06/2017 marked as: read