Melindam's Reviews > Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

bookshelves: classics, anglophilia, cozy-comfort-read, favourites, persephone-books, lovely-makeover-story, forgotten-classics
Read 2 times. Last read January 19, 2019 to January 22, 2019.

"She, Miss Pettigrew, spinster, maiden lady, dull nonentity, jobless, incompetent, was bound for a night club, clad in splendour: painted like the best of them, shameless as the worst of them, uplifted with ecstasy. ‘Oh!’ thought Miss Pettigrew blissfully, ‘I think I’d like to die to-night before I waken up."

This is Pure, Unadulterated ESCAPISM! Utter delight and bliss! This book makes you feel like you are on sugar high after a deceptively light and delicious sugary cake.

The time is 1938, the place: London. Miss Guinevere Pettigrew, 40-year old, lonely, overlooked, dowdy spinster, sets out to find a job -her last hope before her landlady will turn her out of her lodgings - as a governess. She is given an address, where she goes and when the door is opened by the lovely, but distressed Delysia LaFosse -actress and singer in a nightclub- Miss P. finds herself in a WORLD, she's never known before: a scandalous, glittering and dangerously seductive world of the demi monde.

Obviously, Miss LaFosse does not need a governess, but Miss Pettigrew helps her out of a tight spot (view spoiler) and earns her undying admiration in the process. Before the misunderstanding of Miss P's situation can be cleared up, further predicaments arise and Miss Pettigrew -like never before- rises up to all occasions brilliantly. She knows, of course, that she should turn her back on this world of sin and sinners, but she is totally fascinated and she just cannot.

I don't usually draw comparison between authors, but I think this time it seems just fitting to say that Winifred Watson's writing reminds me a bit of P. G. Wodehouse. You get the same high & light entertainment factor.

I also encourage you to check out the movie, which is excellent with Frances McDormand & Amy Adams & absolutely manages to catch and reflect the spirit of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.

June 26, 2017 – Shelved
January 4, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 19, 2019 – Started Reading
January 22, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2019 – Shelved as: persephone-books
February 27, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: forgotten-classics (Paperback Edition)
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: lovely-makeover-story
October 18, 2019 – Shelved as: forgotten-classics

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Ange H (new) - added it

Ange H Love this review Melinda! Well, we seem to have similar tastes and I recently had a similar revelation about PG Wodehouse, so this is going straight to my "Must Read" list!

Melindam Ange! I thought to send you this as a book recommendation. ;) If you haven't seen the movie, check that out as well. :)

Carolyn I read this a few years ago but maybe it’s time for a reread when I need some sugary escapism! The publisher, Persephone Books, is really great. They rescue forgotten books mostly from the early 20th century by mostly female authors and they have beautiful covers too. Another one of theirs that I really enjoyed is Miss Buncle’s Book by DE Stevenson.

Melindam Thank you for the recommendation, Carolyn. I am going to check it out.

message 5: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Melindam have you seen the movie with Amy Adams play Delysia? It is a high and light entertainment too 😊

Melindam Yes, I saw the movie some time ago and it was delightful. :)

message 7: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Melindam wrote: "Yes, I saw the movie some time ago and it was delightful. :)"

:-)

message 8: by Dragana (new)

Dragana I watched the movie, it's wonderful. :) Will have to read the book too.

Melindam Yes, do! It is even better than the movie. ;)

message 10: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg LOVED the movie. They don't make 'em like that very often. Just a light, fun farce.

message 11: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly You got me Melindam with "Pure, Unadulterated Escapism!" Oh, I need some right now.

Melindam Beverly, I am sure you will enjoy this one.

message 13: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Melindam wrote: "Beverly, I am sure you will enjoy this one."

I saw the movie, but I usually love the book more, even if the movie was great which it was. Thanks Melindam for reminding me of this.

Melindam I also enjoyed the movie, but the book is even better! :)

message 15: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Melindam wrote: "I also enjoyed the movie, but the book is even better! :)"

That's what I figured! Have you read or seen Cold Comfort Farm?
It is a send up of the books where everyone is filled with angst and tortured souls and is hilarious. The movie is fantastic too! It's an oldy, but a goody!

Melindam Yes&yes. :) Love both the movie & the book.

message 17: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Melindam wrote: "Yes&yes. :) Love both the movie & the book."

Yes! Also, thanks for the book rec., I added it to my list.

Melindam Miss Buncle's Book is perfection! I am sure you will love it. It is one of my special favourites. :)

message 19: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen I love this book! I loved the book and the movie!

message 20: by Fran (new)

Fran Melindam...awesome review. escapism and bliss work for me after an intense read! 😁

message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen I liked this book ! Have you seen the movie ? It was a good move!