Heather's Reviews > Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith

Assimilate or Go Home by D.L. Mayfield

bookshelves: i-own-ebook

I feel that all followers of Jesus need to take some time and work their way through this collection of essays. This is a book that I will read over and over. I have highlighted large portions of the book, thoughts and truths that struck my heart. I will be chewing on this book for awhile.

"I see it all, the God of scriptures says over and over again. I see it all, and my heart is torn in two. And he is asking people like me, the very nonspecial, the bakers and the questioners and the fretful sleepers, to allow ourselves to see it all too. The prodigals and the older brothers, the lost sheep and the sheep who were too scared to ever leave the pen. There is a place for us all here, the call for all of us to be present and be a witness to the realities of the world. To live in a place where neighbors will move away, again and again and again, to keep showing up on couches and sitting wide-eyed, to sit and say "I'm sorry." He is asking us to drop everything and run, run in the direction of the world's brokenness. And he is asking us to bring cake."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assimilate or Go Home.

June 26, 2017 – Shelved
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 7, 2017 – Started Reading
July 11, 2017 –
35.0% ""I realized that this is what harvest parties are all about. The church, me and my kind, had become so focused on taking care of our own that we neglected all those who don't conform, who aren't in the club.""
July 13, 2017 – Finished Reading