Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Strong Enough

Strong Enough by Melanie Harlow

Read 2 times. Last read June 24, 2017 to June 25, 2017.

Strong Enough is a unforgettable love story about unexpected love, and what happens when that unexpected love turns your entire world upside down. This is a story of discovery, coming into your own, and the life altering craziness and wonderfulness that can happen when you meet that one person who changes everything. This book captured a story of connection, passion, hesitation, fear, acceptance, and most of all, it was a story about love. A love so powerful, so beautiful, and so visceral that it flipped these characters worlds around. It is that love and connection and passion, and everything else in between that made Strong Enough simply amazing.

This book is one that took ahold of me from the very first page. It grasped onto my feels and my heart and it just took off with it. From the very start of this book I was pulled into everything I was reading with Derek and Maxim, and I could not get enough. From their first meeting, to the building connection and intensity they started to share, to the push and pull that exploded between them, to every hard and easy moment in between, I loved those two. I loved them, I loved their personalities, and I love how I felt so beyond connected to them both as I journeyed with them in this story. I honestly could not get enough of what I was reading and experiencing in Strong Enough with these characters, and I could not put this book down. From start to finish I was wowed by every word, and I can't say that enough.

Now I am a huge fan of Melanie Harlow's writing. I have read almost all of her books, and they are all some of my all-time favorites!! When I heard she was co-writing a M/M romance, I think I squealed because not only do I love her writing something fierce, I love me some M/M like nobody's business. I loved that this book allowed me to once again sink right into her amazing writing, and experience every bit of what these characters did. David Romanov's phenomenal writing flowed so seamlessly with hers, and both of these amazing writers brought this story to life so beautifully in a way that I know I wont soon forget. If I didn't know this was David Romanov's first book I would certainly not have guessed that because that man seriously has some talent with his word. The authenticity he and Melanie brought to this story, the way they did it justice and made it so meaningful, and the way they both crafted this story to make is so enrapturing was everything.

Their writing made this book the phenomenal book that it is. The way they created that intense push and pull between these characters, they way they showed every bit of their connection and what went into that connection, and the way they brought this story to life in a way that was real, in a way that pulled at my heart, and in a way that gave me so much with these characters was the absolute best. Melanie and David gave me two characters that were real, that had their flaws and their strengths, that I loved and felt for instantly, and that I rooted for from start to finish. Their writing completely allowed me to feel every ounce of what these characters were as they struggled and fought and tried to make sense of what they were feeling and sharing.

Getting to be apart of such an important, meaningful, and authentic journey with Derek and Maxim is something that completely touched my heart, and is something I will never forget.

The start of this story finds Derek and Maxim meeting after a series of circumstances bring them together. Maxim is from Russia and is here to accomplish his dreams, but when things get a bit off track, he's put on the path of Derek. Derek is a man who knows what he wants and what's expected of him, but the more he tries to find the right woman to fit that mold, the more it just doesn't fit. Then he meets Maxim, and something clicks. But see the thing is though, he doesn't want that something to click. He doesn't want to feel what he does, but feel them he does, and those feelings are certainly mutual between him and Maxim.

What starts off as a simple gesture of kindness soon thrusts these two men on a path they never thought they'd be on. Their connection is on fire, and they can't help but be pulled to one another and what they share, but there are many roadblocks that stand in their way on their path to embracing what they share. Strong Enough is a story that explores what happens when you meet the one person who changes everything for you, yet they weren't the person you ever pictured being with. This story is one of learning, of facing your thoughts and your fears and your worries head on, of acceptance, of beauty, of feeling, and of love. This story with Maxim and Derek explores what happens between them, and what happens when they're forced to face what they're strong enough to hold onto and strong enough to let go of when it really matters.

Every part of this story had me with these characters as they tried to figure out what in the world they were doing and what they were sharing. Strong Enough had the perfect balance of heart and heat and feels with these characters. These authors show you and let you experience the fire between Derek and Maxim, but they also show you their vulnerable sides, their more exposed and raw sides, and what they might not show to the world. They let you be with them as they try to figure out what they're doing, as they stand up for what they feel and believe, and as they struggle to wade their way through the world of feeling they share and what that actually means.

I loved every bit of this book, and I loved how I got to know and love these characters all the way through. I loved Derek and how gruff and tough he was, but how there was also this side to him that was trying to figure out what he wanted, if he was okay with that, and if he was ultimately okay with himself. His journey of trying to accept who he is and what he wanted was real, emotional, and sent my heart to that man a million times over. Maxim's character was one that made me smile from the start. He was so positive and optimistic and just had this spirit that shined through him. I loved getting to know and fall for his character, and I loved getting to see the affect his character had on Derek. Even though Maxim has that happy and optimistic personality, this book also showed a side to him that wasn't going to give up, that was strong enough to say when, and that knew what had to be done for himself and those around him.

I loved both of these characters, my heart went to them both, and I had so much respect for them, for what they felt and shared, and for who they were. I am telling you there is no way you can read these books and not love these two. You will meet them, fall in love with them, and root for them the entire time because they are golden and amazing and just good guys who deserve the world, and you will know and feel that through every bit of this story.

I could probably go on and on about how much I loved this book, but I feel like I should wrap it up because it's high time that you read this book. I can't say enough how phenomenally this book was written and captured. I can't say enough how much I loved these characters and what they gave me in this beautiful, meaningful, and consuming story. And I can't say enough how much this story gave me it all...and then some. It was everything I needed, everything I didn't even know I needed, and it was one of the most beautiful, emotional, and powerful love stories I have had the pleasure of reading.

Plus Maxim and Derek are kind of the best, and honestly I just want to read their story all over again because that's how much I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strong Enough.

Quotes Megan Liked

Melanie Harlow
“You’d better be upstairs already, Maxim. You’d better be out of sight, asleep, behind a closed door. I can’t fight myself anymore tonight. I”
Melanie Harlow, Strong Enough

Melanie Harlow
“Madness. That’s what it was. And I could no longer contain it.”
Melanie Harlow, Strong Enough
tags: lgbt, mm

June 24, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
June 24, 2017 – Started Reading
June 24, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
June 25, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 25, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
June 26, 2017 – Shelved