Kate (beautifulbookland)'s Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: net-galley, 4-stars

I've always had a tenuous relationship with bees. I was freaking petrified of them when I was younger, and only came to accept that they're actually pretty important about a year or two ago. So now, after reading a book about mutant psychosis-inducing bees, I'm back to square one, and I don't think I'm ever going to look at a bee the same again.

This book is enchanting. Mysterious, downright creepy, but enchanting all the same. I've recently been struggling a bit with my concentration, but this Meg Kassel had me gripped. The whole concept was so unique to me. When the whole harbringer thing was introduced I was a bit like "seriously?". But then pretty soon I was like "Hell yeah this is fucking wild. So yeah, it grew on me.

Apart from Angie having to deal with the whole "Harbringer of death, my town is doomed" thing, she also has to deal with the equally terrifying feelings she has towards her new mysterious neighbour. The romance is sweet, and while Angie does have an instant attraction to Reece, there's no insta-love.

So while I'm never going to look at a bee the same ever again, I highly recommend this book. It's funny, creepy, sweet and pretty scary at some points.

(I would like to clarify that it's scary to me. Please keep in mind that I'm scared of the Metrocentre Gnomes)

*Thank you to Entangled Teen and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this book*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

June 26, 2017 – Shelved