Kristen Heimerl's Reviews > What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars

What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars by Jim Paul

bookshelves: business, money, investing

What I learned Losing a Million Dollars offers a fascinating look into the mindset, behaviors, and life of Jim Paul, a man of privilege who, early on in life, developed an appetite for little work and large gains—i.e., a fast buck. This ultimately led him to the financial markets. Success bred hubris and other characteristics that often reveal themselves with excessive power and money. Then he lost it all. Everything.

I admire the author for his honesty and his resolve to help others benefit from his mistakes. There's a lot of learning to be gained in this book about psychological attributes that cause humans expecting/betting on a positive outcome (not just investment gains--any desired outcome where risks are assumed) to make big mistakes.

What I gained most from the book was insight into the psychological dynamics of loss. In particular, I was intrigued by the differences of discrete events (e.g., a horse race) vs. continuous processes (e.g., launching a startup business.) The author asserts that betting or gambling is suitable for discrete events but not for continuous processes. More specifically, he states:

"If you introduce the behavioral characteristics of betting or gambling into a continuous process, you are leaving yourself open to enormous losses. In betting or gambling games, you wager and wait to see if you are right (betting) or experience some excitement (gambling.)" In a discrete event, the losses are real but they also stop when the event itself stops--i.e., your losses are curtailed. In a continuous process (like investing in the market or a new business,) if you're losing and stop acting, the losses don't stop when you stop acting; they can continue to grow almost indefinitely.

There are other interesting psychological models as well in What I learned. And for these, the book is a five-star offering. Overall, the book is designed to speak to investors in financial markets by focusing on how to mitigate losses. However, the lessons learned in What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars extend far beyond financial markets to life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars.

June 23, 2017 – Started Reading