Wendy's Reviews > Smooth Talking Stranger

Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, kindle, favorites
Read from February 24 to 25, 2012

"I'm gonna show you a good time, Ella. Starting with some take-no-prisoners sex. The kind when you can't remember your own name after."

Hardy Cates, move over baby, because Jack Travis has won my heart!

What a great book this is. I loved everything about it, the characters, the story and of course Ella, Jack and baby Lucas. I really enjoyed seeing more of the Travis family in this one, and would love to get to know Joe Travis too. Maybe there's a next book?

Jack Travis

Photobucket

These books are just keepers and have now become an all time favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smooth Talking Stranger.

Quotes Wendy Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“No more Dane,” he eventually said with unnerving finality.

I tried to be funny. “I can't decide if that means you don't want me to see him again or if you're planning to kill him.”

“It means if the first thing happens, the second thing is likely to follow.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Well, you missed out on some important protocol, Ella. You can't stand between a Texan and his power tools. We like them. Big ones that drain the national grid. We also like truck-stop breakfasts, large moving objects, Monday night football, and the missionary position. We don't drink light beer, drive Smart cars, or admit to knowing the names of more than about five or six colors. And we don't wax our chests, ever.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Men are like dogs," Stacy was fond of saying. And she usually went on to add that, like dogs, they all took up too much space on the bed, and they always went for the crotch.”

Lisa Kleypas
“He was unbelievably hard. Everywhere. He was in control, infinitely stronger, and he wanted me to know it.

-Ella”

Lisa Kleypas
“I respect you," he murmured. "and your views. I think of you as an equal. I respect your brains, and all those big words you like to use. But I also want to rip your clothes off and have sex with you until you scream and cry and see God." -Jack Travis (Smooth Talking Stranger)”

Lisa Kleypas
“I'm a big believer in putting things off, In fact, I even put off procrastinating.

-Ella Varner”

Lisa Kleypas
“I was just thinking if the sex with you is one-tenth as fun as arguing with you. I'll be one happy bastard."

"You'll never find out. You--------"

He kissed me.

~ Jack Travis & Ella Varner”

Lisa Kleypas
“I've got about ten things to say to you right now. But at least nine of them would make me sound like a psycho.”

In spite of the seriousness of the situation, I nearly smiled. “What’s the tenth thing?” I asked his shirtfront.

He paused, considering it. “Never mind,” he grumbled. “That one would make me sound like a psycho, too.”

Lisa Kleypas
“One glance and I knew exactly who and what he was. The classic alpha male, the kind who had spurred evolution forward about five million years ago by nailing every female in sight. They charmed, seduced, and behaved like bastards, and yet women were biologically incapable of resisting their magic DNA.”

Lisa Kleypas
“You think I'd cheat on you?" I demanded with all the innocent outrage I could muster.

"With another guy, no. With a cheeseburger . . . in a heartbeat.”

Lisa Kleypas
“You told me you believed marriage was for other people."

"You're the only man who could make me believe that it's for me, too. Although when you get down to it, love is what's real. I still say marriage is just a piece of paper."

Jack smiled. "Let's find out," he said, and he pulled me down to the bed with him.

Jack & Ella”

“Dear Miss Independent,

I've decided that of all the women I've ever known, you are the only one I will ever love more than hunting, fishing, football, and power tools.

You may not know this, but the other time I asked you to marry me, the night I put the crib together, I meant it. Even though I knew you weren't ready.
God, I hope you're ready now.

Marry me, Ella. Because no matter where you go or what you do, I'll love you every day for the rest of my life.

—Jack”

“Where's your instruction manual?" I asked him. "What's the baby
customer-service number?”
tags: humor

02/24/2012
32.0% "Loving Jack and Ella!" 5 comments
02/25/2012
100.0% "You beauty!"

Blue Eyed Vixen I just finished Blue-Eyed Devil. Lisa is becoming one of my favorite authors....and I love the picture - very Jack-ish!

Wendy Thanks BEV! I love her too now. I need to read her historicals. :)

Taryn Whoa, mama!

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! For me, it was the best in the series! Great picture review! LOL

Wendy LOL, thanks Taryn! Yeah, definitely my fave, now too!

Victoria Wendy wrote: "Thanks BEV! I love her too now. I need to read her historicals. :)"

You have to read her historicals, Wendy. LK is one of those authors that can't do wrong. She has several series that are to die for: The Wallflowers and The Hathaways are just two examples of her fabulous writing ;)

Wendy Victoria, I have them all lined up ready to go. I just can't get enough of her writing and not to mention her alpha males that aren't over the top, you know?

Jill Wow Wen, you said you weren't a fast reader and look at you go! Great review. Joe's story is coming....

Wendy Thanks Jilly! Really, so there's going to be another book?! YAY!

message 9: by Jill (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hey Wen, your Jack looks like my Jack. LOL!

Re Joe's story -
And apparently Joe's story is a goer. Here's an excerpt that Lisa Kay found -

I just read this on Facebook and wanted to share with all the Joe Travis fans out there that Lisa might write his book. This is what she said "I was so surprised and delighted by readers asking about Joe Travis, since I'd never planned on writing his story. I mentioned to my editor this past summer that I would like to write a book for Joe, and she seemed to like the idea, so I think it will happen! (And I would like to start it right in his hospital room, just after the event near the end of "Smooth Talking Stranger.")". So there is always hope!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Wendy! You flew through these books! YAY! ^_^

Sooo...Was Sugar Daddy the first Lisa Kleypas book you ever read? If I'd known you hadn't read Lisa Klaypas before, I would have nagged encouraged you to read her SOONER! ^_^ I think she's just awesome. I love her books and many of her heroes are on my top heroes list.

I know for sure that you'll enjoy the Wallflowers and Hathaways. Some awesome heroes and heroines there.

message 11: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Now you are talking.....I lurv Jack. I wanted to eat him up with a cherry on top. :-) Yeah for the Joe Travis snippit!

Wendy @Jilly
LOL, he does look like your Jack, what a coincidence, Jilly. *grinning*
Oooo, thanks for that little snippet too about Joe's story. He deserves one, and he sounds as delicious as his brothers. ;)

@Jaynie

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wendy wrote: "@Jaynie
Yep, Sugar Daddy's my very first LK book Jaynie. She sure didn't disappoint either. I'm really looking forward to her historicals! "

Oh, man! I'm so jealous! To be discovering her books again for the first time?? Wow. Her books are definitely keepers and ones I re-read. Her characters are like old friends to me.

Wendy Keri wrote: "Now you are talking.....I lurv Jack. I wanted to eat him up with a cherry on top. :-) Yeah for the Joe Travis snippit!"

Me too Keri!