Alison's Reviews > The Perfectly Imperfect Match

The Perfectly Imperfect Match by Kendra C. Highley

Three and a half stars.

Dylan Dennings has a plan. He's a high school pitcher and he aims to go to the minors and get called up to the majors by the time he’s twenty-three. He is 100% focused on that plan. He practices religiously, eats clean, gets the right amount of sleep. Oh and he's avoiding girls, especially since the girl he had his eye on is now dating his best friend. His family would prefer that he went to college and then tried out for a major league team but he is adamant. It's just that his dedication seems to be increasing his stress levels.

Lucy Foster is Dylan's opposite. She's a free-spirit to his uptightness. An expert needlewoman she helps her mom out at her sewing shop and helps look after her younger brother Otis whilst their father has been called up as an Army reservist. She and her best friend Serena have a history of wild protests.

When Dylan meets Lucy she is bringing Otis to baseball camp. Otis wants to be a pitcher and so, inevitably, is put in Dylan's group. From the moment he sees Lucy with her pink streaked hair and comic t-shirts, Dylan knows that they are complete opposites, but what do they say? Opposites attract.

I liked this but I didn't love it the same way as I loved the first book.

First, Lucy and Dylan read too young. They were supposed to be seventeen but they felt more like fifteen year olds to me. Surely no-one is that young and innocent anymore?

Second, and this is a big one, I didn't buy into the description of Lucy. Everyone characterises her as unreliable, a bit scatter-brained etc but let's check the facts. She works in her mom's shop; she helps look after her younger brother, including taking him to baseball camp every day; she has her own business custom-embroidering clothing; she helps her best friend and her best friend's father with their organic, free range chicken farm; she takes her mom to hospital and then takes over running the shop when her mom gets sick. Do these seem like the actions of a flaky, unreliable teen?

Third, I felt the ending was a little bit too similar to that of the first book.

But none of those detracted from a sweet romance between a driven Type A athlete and a free-thinking radical.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfectly Imperfect Match.

June 26, 2017 – Started Reading
June 26, 2017 – Shelved
June 26, 2017 –
36.0% "I'm confused, this girl is 17 years old, she looks after her younger brother, she helps out in her mom's shop, she has a side business doing custom embroidery AND she looks after her mother when she has a migraine. But everyone describes her as flighty?"
June 26, 2017 – Finished Reading