Neringa Neringiukas's Reviews > Dirty

Dirty by Michelle Horst

This story is not for the faint of heart. From the first pages, you are made to feel all kind of emotions. And almost through all the book, they all are gloomy. Don't get me wrong, it does have sunshine and HEA. Just sometimes black clouds shadows the sun.

Jack was like a ticking bomb from the first page. Though, for some time, while he was kinda hiding from his degraded past, he made me to forget about that feeling. So, when Jack's demons exploded, it came a little like a shock, though I should had expected it. Jack makes you feel his emotions. I felt his pain, hatred, betrayal and jaggedness. I felt his need to let his monster out to play, but unable to because chained by a promise and misplaced belief of protecting someone, who should never had that kind of loyalty. Also, I was worried for him, because sometimes it felt like Jack only breathed revenge and he had no other purpose in life. I worried, that Jack will let it to consume him and overlook a future, which was within his grasp.

I was a little disappointed in River. She was too softy for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad to have some softness, but when it's all you can see... It's not my preference. And well I guess, she has some balls because of what she did, but after those years doing exactly that, you would think she will have steel in those bones of her. But River avoided confrontations often and let her emotions to control her too much. Which latest makes you to wonder, how she didn't revealed herself on her 'missions' at some point? But on the other hand, maybe that softness of her is what Jack needed?

You need to find out if Jack is a lost cause or a survivor. And if River is worthy to earn his trust loyalty and battered soul. If you don't mind some really disturbing, to put it lightly, moments in your books, you need to add this to TBR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty.

June 25, 2017 – Started Reading