alice (arctic books)'s Reviews > The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee

You can find this review and others, as well as win a copy of GENIE LO at arctic books.

THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO was fun, action-packed, and something not to miss. I’m going to be honest here, I have never read a book that I related to as much as this one. I’m Chinese-American, and seeing the stories of Sun Wukong that I heard as a child come to life in this book was surreal and just absolutely amazing. I felt so light and unbelievably happy, and I can’t express how much I loved this book.

Genie was a fantastic main character—she was spunky, sarcastic, overachieving; she felt real and it was so much fun to see aspects of myself in her characterization. To be honest, I felt so connected to Genie. She’s Chinese, super tall, overachieving – just like me. I’ve never felt so close to a main character (not even Juliette even though I love her with all my heart), and I find that this book needs to go into the hands of Chinese teenagers just like myself!

Quentin was also so much fun to read about. He was infuriating in the best way, and I loved the tension that he and Genie had. She and Quentin made a fantastic team (what did I expect?), and I loved the romance that bloomed. It was a bit weird at first, but I did end up jumping on board. These two characters made this book fly by so quickly and made all the action scenes feel so exciting.

Overall, this fantastic book is not to miss. This #ownvoices book was so powerful and made me so, so, so, so happy. I’m going to be shoving this book to my little sister and all the Chinese-American teens I know. I’m definitely looking forward to whatever Yee puts out next.

Thank you to Amulet Books for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Epic Crush of Genie Lo.

June 25, 2017 – Shelved
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: edelweiss-netgalley
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: short-list-tbr
June 28, 2017 – Started Reading
June 28, 2017 –
0.0% "IM SO EXCITED LETS GOOOO"
June 28, 2017 –
11.0% "THIS IS SO RELATABLE I LOVE THIS IM !!!!!!"
June 29, 2017 –
73.0% "yikes"
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: faves
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2017 – Shelved as: physical-arc
July 25, 2017 – Shelved as: physical-finished

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Maha YESSSSSSS
*whispers* sequel in 2018*

alice (arctic books) Maha wrote: "YESSSSSSS
*whispers* sequel in 2018*"

AHHHHHHHH CAN'T WAIT

cyborgcinderella THERE'S GOING TO BE A SEQUELLLLL???

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ruben Great review!

message 5: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje ummm hey soo just want to ask is there like mushy love stuff here or just plain bad ass action?

alice (arctic books) cyborgcinderella wrote: "THERE'S GOING TO BE A SEQUELLLLL???"

YESSSSS

alice (arctic books) Jessica.Ruben.Books wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you!!!

alice (arctic books) Sade wrote: "ummm hey soo just want to ask is there like mushy love stuff here or just plain bad ass action?"

It's like 85% bad ass action and 15% fun banter/flirting/kissing

message 9: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje alice wrote: "Sade wrote: "ummm hey soo just want to ask is there like mushy love stuff here or just plain bad ass action?"

It's like 85% bad ass action and 15% fun banter/flirting/kissing"

This is good news :)

Winifred Bates oh god u nailed what i feel abt this book. like as a chinese teen i feel so happy seeing all the tales ive heard of Sun Wukong came to LIFE BC OF THIS BOOK