Karen Hubbard's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Jun 28, 2017

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance

The whole thing made me think of 'The Great Gatsby'. I don't know if that's because the time periods were the same or the author captured some of Fitzgerald's style. I haven't seen the movie, I wanted to read the book first. I don't think I'll go see the movie now - some pretty graphic scenes in the books that I wouldn't want to see on a screen.

I know it was a different time, but I can't fathom the outright cruelty that not only the animals endured, but also people. I guess I'm sheltered because I'm sure that there are places in the world (and in the US) that this situation wouldn't seem so unbelievable.

On a lighter note, it was a great look into the old circuses. I've never seen a Ringling Bros. circus (I can't remember the name of the one that used to come to my hometown all during my elementary school years), but I still remember how sparkly and glamorous that life seemed. Water for Elephants showed the dark side of the traveling circus, but kept some of the glamor too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

February 18, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
June 25, 2017 – Started Reading