Elaine Sloan's Reviews > Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance

Read 2 times. Last read June 24, 2017 to July 2, 2017.

This was such a thought provoking book and I couldn't put it down. He talks about "Adverse Childhood Experiences" that kids cannot overcome without a stable home and an adult that they know who puts them first and cares for them. I recommend this book to all teachers and admins looking for ways to reach some of the tough kids we deal with. I don't think as a school teacher that we can make the difference these kids need, but it does provide understanding. We have to protect our children from these adverse experiences because it changes the way they process their own lives, making some have a give up attitude which means that they think no matter what they do, they'll never make it. Life is too against them. But for JD Vance, his grandmother saved him. He had a few teachers he connected with, and most importantly, he was lucky in that he was very intelligent. He says he was very lucky with some of the connections he made throughout his life. He has a great TED talk if you are interested. His story just resonated with my own hillbilly roots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hillbilly Elegy.

Quotes Elaine Liked

J.D. Vance
“Southern slave economy, sharecroppers after that, coal miners after that, and machinists and millworkers during more recent times.”
J.D. Vance, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

May 17, 2017 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
May 17, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
June 24, 2017 – Started Reading
June 24, 2017 – Shelved
June 24, 2017 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
July 2, 2017 – Finished Reading