Jason Lilly's Reviews > Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream

Radical by David Platt

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: christian, favorite-authors, favorites, nonfiction
Recommended for: Christians
Read 3 times. Last read November 20, 2013.

This book is possibly the most convicting book I have ever read, aside from the Bible itself. It was disruptive and encouraging all at once. Though his words may be harsh, David Platt loves the church. He loves it so much he is unwilling to allow the current trends in American church culture to continue.

"I am convinced that we as Christ followers in American churches have embraced values and ideas that are not only unbiblical but actually contradict the gospel we claim to believe. And I am convinced we have a choice."

On that note, Platt lays out choices Christians have to truly follow Jesus. While being convicting but never judgmental, he calls attention to parts of the Bible that many "comfortable" Christians would rather not read, words of Jesus that isolated many of his "followers" then and now. He focuses strongly on the words of Jesus that command us to sacrifice our comfortable lives for the sake of God's glory, to "take up your cross," and sheds an urgent light on the need to share Christ with the unreached.

Don't read this if you don't want your life to change. Don't read it if you are comfortable with Sunday morning, religious holiday church. on second thought... read it and take it seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical.

Finished Reading
March 5, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
March 5, 2012 – Shelved as: nonfiction
Started Reading
November 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Vincent (last edited Jan 17, 2012 02:13AM) (new)

Vincent Chough Thanks for the review Jason. I've had this one on my radar for some time, and your comments are convincing.

Some say that Jesus only promised us two things:

Eternal life and a cross to bear

We seem to want to add so much other pork to the deal.

Jason Lilly Well said, Vincent. Don't pass this one up. It is a great one. Have you read Not a Fan: Completely. Committed. Follower? Also a great one.

Alex I couldn't agree more with your words Mr. Lilly. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Christ didn't call us to be comfortable or happy. The Word even goes so far to say "WHEN you are persecuted" not "if". Christ didn't die for our happiness or so He could take all our problems away. He died for righteousness.