Julie Christine's Reviews > A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship and Survival in World War Two

A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: war-conflict, history-non-fiction, france-french-theme-setting, best-of-2012, read-2012
Read from May 17 to 30, 2012

This is indeed an extraordinary story. I may try to write a more in-depth review, but I need some time to reflect and recover.

I will thank Moorehead for the gift she has given us in bringing to life the stories of these women and providing a voice to their suffering and astonishing courage. If you think there is nothing more you want or need to learn about World War II, this lovingly-researched and -written work will make you realize how little of we understand of the experience of women during the war and how little of their particular horror of Holocaust we have absorbed. To read this is to honor the memory and sacrifice of the victims of war who were mothers, wives, sisters, daughters and whose greatest crime was compassion. I am humbled and devastated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Train in Winter.

05/20/2012 page 60
16.0% "I'm at work in a story set in Amboise in '44- this is giving me a taste of life- from clothing to play to social mores of young women during WWII. It is amazing to read what was in hearts and minds of French women at the outset of Occupation. Their bravery and naïveté are breathtaking, because we know what horror awaits them."
05/21/2012 page 82
21.0% ""The most minor acts of disobedience restored a sense of dignity, lost with the collapse of France."" 3 comments
05/21/2012 page 102
27.0% ""The most minor acts of disobedience restored a sense of dignity, lost with the collapse of France.""
05/25/2012 page 133
35.0% ""By early February 1942, the Germans had begun to prepare for the large-scale deportation on France's Jews.""
05/27/2012 page 163
42.0% "I rue my ignorance - weeks that I spent in the Charente and Charente-Maritime and I had no idea I was surrounded by the relatively recent history of the Resistance."
05/28/2012 page 211
55.0% "Descriptions of Auschwitz/Birkenau compare to Primo Levi's memoir. Moorehead tenderly and respectfully presents the memories of horror, reminding us each victim was a life, not a statistic."
05/21/2017 marked as: read

Melanie I'm thinking this might be my next non-fiction book...

Elyse Thank You Julie!!! Beautiful!!! and....I hope you are doing well....(writing, etc.) xo

Julie Christine Elyse wrote: "Thank You Julie!!! Beautiful!!! and....I hope you are doing well....(writing, etc.) xo"

Oh thank you, my friend. Getting ready to launch novel 2 (The CROWS OF BEARA) and turn novel 3 into my agent. So I can get started on novel 4! xoxo It's so wonderful to see you!