TheModestMillennial's Reviews > The Wishing Season

The Wishing Season by Denise Hunter

51937233

bookshelves: christian-fiction, 2017, 2018, blogged
Read 2 times. Last read January 14, 2018 to January 16, 2018.

What a fun premise! Two people competing to make their dreams come true, but an eccentric benefactor throws a wrench in everyone's plans.

I like Cole. He's very humble and generous - from his intent for winning the competition to the way he treats PJ even when she is pretty horrible to him - but PJ bugs me. I think part of it is that she reminds me of the worst parts of myself, especially my tendencies to be hotheaded and speak without thinking, but it's also that she's very selfish - very baby-of-the-family stereotype with something akin to a princess complex.

I feel like this book was less spiritually focused and much shallower in that regard, which was a bummer for me. Other than the few "please, God"s both characters seem lacking in this area, and there wasn't any deepening as the plot progressed. PJ has a weird spiritual flip flop from not paying about anything to heartfelt prayers for Cole - then right back to the occasional "please give me what I want, God". Cole has good overall character growth giving him a note dynamic feel, but PJ is a very static character.

The romance...WOW. Steamy! Even had my pulse spiking a couple times. Really well written in that regard.

All in all, it was entertaining and still much better than it's secular counterparts. Even with occasional inconsistencies and some superficial characters, I really like Denise's writing and storytelling abilities, and this one is definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishing Season.

June 23, 2017 – Shelved