Andrew Breslin's Reviews > I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America after Twenty Years Away

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

Aug 31, 2011

Bill Bryson is always a delight, and this one proved even more delightful than most. Those familiar with his breezy, pithy style will find this brimming with all the breeze and pith they have come to expect. He has an uncanny knack for pointing out the absurdities that surround us, to make people stop and think, if only for a moment, and make them laugh at the same time, ameliorating the painful sting that normally accompanies any arduous thinking. What makes it even better is that the essays in this collection were originally written for publication in a weekly newspaper column, each individual piece a self-contained gem of no more than 1000 words or so. That makes it the absolutely ideal accompaniment to a trip to the bathroom. I would even propose a new unit of measurement--the "Bryson"--to quantify the current state of bowel health. If I manage to read three or more essays in one sitting, then I know it's time to get more fiber in my diet. I'm currently averaging about 2.5 Brysons, so I'm going to buy some bran muffins right away. I apologize if I have given out too much information. Anyhow, I finished the book and gave it to my dad. He's not on Goodreads. For some reason, people who read my reviews never want my used books.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm a Stranger Here Myself.