Michelle Johnston's Reviews > Goodnight Moon Room: A Pop-Up Book

Goodnight Moon Room by Margaret Wise Brown

Apr 17, 2008

bookshelves: kids

This post modernist take on nocturnal rabbit activity has been widely acclaimed by pundits and neophytes alike. Although the end is itself anticlimactic, the book throughout alternates between a Jeffersonian systematic formulation of an intuitively quixotic plot and a reductive encapsulation of the bed-time ritual that is practically, in its essence, Elizabethan. A revisionist reading unearths the Orwellian presence of the hushing lady, which is countermanded by the ideological shift introduced to the reader by the omnipresent burgeois mouse. Although the rabbit does, in the end, succumb to the hushing lady, the reader is left with a sense of vague dissatisfaction with regards to the character development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodnight Moon Room.

Finished Reading
April 17, 2008 – Shelved
April 17, 2008 – Shelved as: kids

Rachel Shoot. And I thought I understood this book. :)

Antoine The piece also subverts normal plot driven expectations by introducing many possible narrative devices (a telephone, a bowl of mush, nobody) none of which have their potential actuated by any of the agents in the story. The telephone never rings, the clocks never strike, the socks are never donned. Most disturbingly, the mouse roams freely over the room, never confronted by the kittens.

Jean S Okay, I have nothing more witty than to say that you made me shoot Diet Coke out of my nose when I read your review.