Juli's Reviews > The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

bookshelves: popsugar-2017

I picked this book up because of Tennessee William's review: the greatest prose writer that the South has produced. Let me tell you, he hit the nail on the head. This was lovely. Carson McCullers is a wonderful writer. She plays with words so skillfully that even the mundane and every-day appear special and grand.

This novel is set in the 1930s in a Southern town where its inhabitants deal with race inequality, poverty, lack of education, barely scraping buy, hard and difficult physical labor, diseases, and the first traces of Communism and Fascism. There really is no major plot. Instead, McCullers highlights the lives of several townspeople but two stuck out to me - probably because in a way they are quite opposite of each other: a deaf-mute gentleman and a music-loving, penniless teenage girl. McCullers beautifully brought across their thoughts and beliefs, their desires, and their sorrows. This novel is truly a character-study, something that is amongst my favorite topics to read about.

I can only highly recommend this book if you are like me and you love to read novels built on language over content.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.

June 23, 2017 – Shelved