Rebecca's Reviews > No Ordinary Star

No Ordinary Star by M.C. Frank

it was ok
bookshelves: ebooks

In a world where there is no Christmas; men and women are separated; and no one needs to eat or sleep or become ill....Felix and Astra are just trying to survive. They are throw together in a strange twist of fate and are put on a mission, to fix a clock before the year turns to 2525.

When you begin this book, you are completely throw into a future world with no guide, no explanations, and no idea where you are or what is going on. I'll be honest, I had to re-read the first couple of chapters a few times to try and get my bearings. It's definitely an interested plot device and it allowed me to be intrigued, but also very confused. Bits and pieces are dropped like snowflakes and you need to try and catch them and put them together to form this new world in your mind. Many times I felt myself go "huh?", such as when Felix mentioned that he has never had to sleep before.

When Felix and Astra meet, there is so much tension and wariness that I could almost feel the emotions vibrating off the pages. This is definitely a writing style that I had to get used to, because the stories seems to move in bit and spurts. I think this reflected the emotions and thoughts of the characters well, especially their situation in the beginning. This book takes many turns that leave you hanging on by the tips of your fingers, trying to follow it. Poor Felix finds out many mind-blowing things very quickly, and we get to see inside his head as he tries to process them.

The characters themselves are the best part of the book, in my opinion. Witty, extremely smart, emotional and daring. We get to see a lot of their development and I am hoping for even more as the series continues.

Thank you to the author for providing me an ARC of her novel for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Ordinary Star.

June 23, 2017 – Shelved