Kerry CS Literary Jewelry's Reviews > The Enchanted April

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

F 50x66
Jun 23, 2017

The ultimate "staycation read" for when you are longing to run away from your everyday existence, The Enchanted April is every bit as enchanting as the title suggests. The story tells of four English women, each struggling with various disappointments and loneliness, who decide to pool their resources and rent a romantic Italian villa for the month of April. Although the woman are very different in background and temperament - which leads to the occasional, (and rather funny), butting of heads - each experiences a sort of renewal during their stay at San Salvatore.

My only complaint about this light but highly enjoyable book is that the resolution of all the character's problems seemed to come together rather quickly and easily without much more effort than a simple (and much needed attitude change). I guess the moral of the story is that it's easier to evaluate your life and make changes in a villa on the Mediterranean than back home in your everyday life, and if that's the case, I am more than willing to try it. I would have also loved an epilogue (or a sequel) that explored how all of these vacation epiphanies and romances continued (or didn't) once everyone got back home. But other than that, I really enjoyed this fun little novel and highly recommend that you add it to your summer reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted April.

Finished Reading