Priya's Reviews > Swarga

Sep 10, 2017

did not like it
Read from June 23 to September 10, 2017

This book didn't work for me for 2 main reasons -

1. Juggernaut. The user interface is really bad, be it the app or the browser. No bookmark facility on either. I logged into the app after a while (and my progress was at 50% roughly) and when I opened the book it took me to the first chapter!! Wtf! So yeah, not reading anything else on Juggernaut till they actually make it an e-reader app.

2. The translation. The original is in Malayalam. And the story takes place on the Karnataka-Kerala border regions, so the characters speak a dialect of Malayalam that has a bit of Tulu or Kannada.. which is all good when the book is in Malayalam. What I don't get is why the English translation should try to capture it when it's virtually impossible to do so. 85% of the conversations in the book are like this -

"When Jayarajan laughed again, Panji said in a serious tone, ‘Don’ play aroun’ with the Serpent. Thi’  hill was full of them, all ove’, ev’rywher’. Bu’ they neve’ attacke’ any of us.’"

See what I mean? Dropping the last letter or arbitrarily ANY letter of most words seems to be the way to project the local dialect? How does that even work in English?!! Why even do that?! It's such a distraction while providing no uniqueness whatsoever to our experience. It just irritated me instead of giving a "local" feeling to the narration.

So I quit reading somewhere around the 60% mark. Or so I think because the effing app doesn't tell me anything anyway!

Waste of time. If you DO want to read it, try the original in Malayalam perhaps or at least the paperback in English. Not on Juggernaut.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swarga.

06/23 marked as: currently-reading
06/23
25.0% "How come I'm reading YET ANOTHER book when I have so many going on already? I am because this one is on Juggernaut and that's a different device. So there's 3 paper books, 2 on the Kindle, and 1 on the laptop. I hate myself and my lack of self control and lack of patience to finish one book before jumping to another. Hate hate hate. Arrghhh!!!! I need help!!!" 2 comments
06/30
40.0% "Started off brilliantly.. now it's getting a tad predictable.. and mundane. Waiting for it to get better!"
08/05
49.0% "Progress is slow because the Juggernaut app/website is abysmal in the way it handles page progress. When I re-open the book, it doesn't open up to where I had stopped earlier. And there are no bookmarks. Or page numbers. How the eff am I supposed to know where to read from?! Remind me never to read on this app again. Are you listening, Juggernaut? Look at the Kindle app, will ya? And copy."
09/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Hamsini (new)

Hamsini oh absolutely- about the app i mean. i thought i was stupid cus i couldnt figure out how to bookmark/ get it to open at the place i left off.

Priya Hamsini wrote: "oh absolutely- about the app i mean. i thought i was stupid cus i couldnt figure out how to bookmark/ get it to open at the place i left off."

:-( This pending book is frustrating my OCD self but I'm just not able to read on the phone or sit at the laptop and read! Aaarrghhh!!