Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic's Reviews > One Small Thing

One Small Thing by Erin Watt

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, arc, dnf

Thank you Harlequin Teen for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 41%

I tried guys but this book isn't for me. One Small Thing is one of my highly anticipated books this year and sadly it turned out to be a disappointment. I rarely put a book in a DNF pile and as much as I hated a book, I'll finish it no matter what. However, all the characters in this book pissed me off and I ran out of patience.

The story centers on death and grief. It's about seventeen year old Beth Jones whose sister tragically passed away due to a car accident. Since her sister's death, her parents had an irrational fear of losing another child and became overprotective on her. No parent wants to outlive their child and I understand what they're going through but they've forgot paying attention to their remaining child. I swear Beth's parents are the most ridiculous parents EVER and they made me furious.

Beth feels suffocated by their strictness and disobeys them in every way she can. One night, she went to a party and meets Chase. Sparks fly between them but things turned complicated when she found out he's the reason why her sister died.

With a lot of teenage angst and migraine-inducing drama, I lost my interest. It was stressful to read this book and the townspeople are horrible. I don't want my hairline to recede by finishing this book. Will I give this another shot? Probably not. I'm so relieved but it doesn't mean I'll stop reading Erin Watt's books. I'm just not a fan of this one. I'm sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Small Thing.

June 23, 2017 – Shelved
June 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 20, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
July 3, 2018 – Started Reading
July 3, 2018 –
2.0% "I sense it'll be full of drama. 😁🤔☕️"
July 5, 2018 –
8.0% "This is testing my patience. (-___-)"
July 6, 2018 –
21.0% "Lizzie's parents are ridiculous. Smh."
July 16, 2018 –
30.0% "Considering to DNF this.... 😒🔪"
August 12, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 15, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Sorry hun!! Hoping you find a winner with your next read !!

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• wrote: "Sorry hun!! Hoping you find a winner with your next read !!"

Thank you, Jenny! Crossing my fingers my future reads are better. :) <3

message 3: by nick (new)

nick I tried this one gave up after the first chapter. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you! :(

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic nick wrote: "I tried this one gave up after the first chapter. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you! :("

Thank you, Nick! Glad I'm not the only who gave this up. :(

message 5: by Nicole ❤ (new) - added it

Nicole ❤ Hope you'll enjoy the next book you choose to read. ❤💕

message 6: by Nicole ❤ (new) - added it

Nicole ❤ Hope you'll enjoy the next book you choose to read. ❤💕

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Thank you Nic! 😊💕❤️

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Thank you, Maddie! 🤗💖

Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm I agree on all points... I have had so many eye-rolls and knitted eyebrows feeling angry at the characters when I stopped reading this, then took me a week again to continue..

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm wrote: "I agree on all points... I have had so many eye-rolls and knitted eyebrows feeling angry at the characters when I stopped reading this, then took me a week again to continue.."

Thank you and glad you were able to finish it, Ate Claire! The characters made this book unbearable and they all stressed me out. I had to give it up :(