G.J. Griffiths's Reviews > Snapdragon

Snapdragon by Kilby Blades

liked it
bookshelves: contemp-fiction, my-reviews, ya

This is a well-written book that has an interesting plot involving two main characters, Darby and Michael, who, while strongly resisting a relationship that moves any further forward than companionship, come together (in every sense of the word) from the beginning and wind up in such a tangle of confused emotions it makes keeping to their “Snapdragon” arrangement seem impossible. The sub-title of “Love Conquers None” is a bit of a giveaway to the arrangement that when either use that word there is a clean break in the relationship and they can just walk away from each other. The background conflict running through the story, therefore, is between love and career. Complications in Darby’s work life and family encourage support from Michael which inevitably affects their resolve to avoid commitment.

This story of a 21st century contemporary romance will no doubt appeal to fans of the genre. It has perfect people in it with perfect minds and bodies who achieve perfect sex whenever they have the opportunity. Unfortunately, it is not the kind of book that I like to read. Despite some very interesting and involved dialogue here and there I found the characters too one-dimensional. Everything about them and their lifestyle personified the word boring to me and I was reminded once again why I find it impossible to enjoy this genre. There are very creditable attempts from the author to relate the tale from Darby’s POV and her anguish, her doubts and lack of confidence at times do establish something of her character but for me she lacked real depth.

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snapdragon.

Started Reading