Deanna 's Reviews > The Great Alone

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

bookshelves: my-favorites, highly-recommended, arcs, 2018

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Wow!! This was a FANTASTIC novel. There is no way anyone could have pried this book from my hands while I was reading it.

Kristin Hannah is one of my favorite authors and I am always excited when a new book is going to be released. When I found out that her new book, “The Great Alone” was set in Alaska in 1974 (the year I was born); I was itching to get reading.

As the book opens, we meet the Allbright family. Ernt, Cora, and their daughter, Leni. Thirteen year old, Leni is listening to her parents arguing. The terrible weather has brought out the darkness in him again. It hadn’t always been like this. Before the war they were happy. When he finally came home, Leni saw nothing of the laughing and handsome man she once knew. He had nightmares and trouble sleeping. He was moody and quick to anger…so very quick to anger.

It’s not just the Allbright family that’s struggling. Morale is at an all-time low and gas prices are at an all time high. The world is in crisis. People are scared with everything that’s been happening. Bombings, hijacked planes, and now college girls in Washington State have been disappearing. Danger is everywhere.

But then her dad comes home with his “Big Idea” smile. A friend who died in the war left him some property in Alaska. Her father is ecstatic. It’s a place where they can live a decent life…away from all of the madness. A simple life on land that they can live off…grow their own vegetables, hunt, and be free.

“I need this, Cora. I need a place where I can breathe again. Sometimes I feel like I’m going to crawl out of my skin. Up there, the flashbacks and shit will stop, I know it. We need this. We can go back to the way things were before ‘Nam screwed me up.”

He promises he’ll do better, that he’ll cut down on drinking. Leni has seen this all before but she won’t put up a fuss about moving again. She’ll do as she’s asked.

“Because that was what love was”

The trip to Alaska was almost like a family vacation. It was amazing and Leni was truly happy. Her dad even laughed and smiled. He was like he was “Before”. However, when they arrive in Kaneq, things are different from what they imagined. There’s a tiny cabin with a rotted deck, a yard full of old animal bones, and junk as far as the eye could see. No TV, no electricity, no running water. But Leni can handle all of that. She’ll make the best of it, especially if it helps her Dad.

“And he’ll be happy this time”

Two types of people come to Alaska, people who are running to something or running away from something. With no police station and no telephone service, Alaska gives new meaning to the word...Remote.

“Alaska herself can be Sleeping Beauty one minute and a bitch with a sawed-off shotgun the next”

Most people are welcoming and helpful, though Leni wonders if some may not be so good for her father. People like Mad Earl and Clyde. “ Drinking whisky and eating hate” When they talk about what’s destroying America, when TSHTF, and “ The rich, riding on the backs of better men ” it makes Leni nervous.

The Allbright’s settle in and Leni starts to wonder if things might actually be okay. Unfortunately, it’s not long before she sees things haven’t changed. In fact, things seem to be getting worse.

Could the darkness and the danger in her home be more treacherous than the worst Alaskan winter?

Kristin Hannah has done it again!

I loved this book. An entertaining and emotional read with an engrossing plot and well-developed characters. I could almost feel the bitter cold from the long isolating winters. But I could also see the beauty of Alaska with its gorgeous mountains and blue skies.

Hope, love, and memory can keep you stuck. The 1970’s, a time when a woman still needed a man’s signature to get a credit card. The lack of understanding and assistance available. They called it “Gross Stress Reaction” or “ Battle Fatigue” back then… the horrible flashbacks and nightmares, the anxiety and anger, the inability to cope with regular life. Now it’s called PTSD post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSI – post-traumatic stress injury . Soldiers, who gave everything to the war, then came back to a world that many of them couldn’t function in, a world that didn’t know how to help them heal.

“The Great Alone” does not disappoint. This was another fascinating, thought-provoking, and captivating read. Heartbreaking at times... but there were also moments of great love and unbelievable kindness. A gripping story where I was desperate to know what was going to happen next. A bittersweet but satisfying ending topped off this amazing read.

Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for providing an advanced readers copy of this book for me to read in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Alone.

June 23, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)

Marialyce One that I can't wait to read. Great review, Deanna!

Diane S ☔ Fantastic review, Deanna. This was a wonderful story.

Caged Bird Great review Deanna, thank you. I adore Kristin Hannah’s writing, and can’t wait to read this one.

message 4: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb So happy to hear how much you loved this one, Deanna! This was will be coming up on my TBR! Wonderful review.

message 5: by Deanna (last edited Nov 07, 2017 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna Marialyce wrote: "One that I can't wait to read. Great review, Deanna!"
I hope you love it too, Marialyce!

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Fantastic review, Deanna. This was a wonderful story."
Thanks, Diane. It really was a wonderful read. I really enjoyed your review too!!

Caged Bird wrote: "Great review Deanna, thank you. I adore Kristin Hannah’s writing, and can’t wait to read this one."

She really is such a fantastic author! I hope you enjoy it too! :)

Crumb wrote: "So happy to hear how much you loved this one, Deanna! This was will be coming up on my TBR! Wonderful review."

I think you will love it, Crumb! :)

message 6: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wonderful review Deanna :)

Bianca Great review. I've got to get my hands on it.

Sharon Fantastic review, Deanna!

message 9: by Deanna (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna Bianca wrote: "Great review. I've got to get my hands on it."
Thanks, Bianca!! I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

Sharon wrote: "Fantastic review, Deanna!"
Thank you, Sharon!!

Christina wrote: "Wonderful review Deanna :)"

Thanks, Christina! :)

message 10: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Wonderful review, Deanna!

debra Stunning review , Deanna. Having trouble putting beautiful in the same sentence with cold and the "S". Adding it anyway ; )) <3

Julie Lovely review, Deanna!! Sounds wonderful!!

Deanna Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna!"
Thanks, Meredith!!

debra wrote: "Stunning review , Deanna. Having trouble putting beautiful in the same sentence with cold and the "S". Adding it anyway ; )) <3"
Thank you, lovely!! I know what you mean lol.... "S" better stay away!! I think you might like this one too! <3

Julie wrote: "Lovely review, Deanna!! Sounds wonderful!!"

Thanks, Julie!! <3

message 14: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Deanna! Glad you liked this one. It's on my list.

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Deanna! It's on my list too! :-)

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review Deanna!!!! I have to read this book! Always had a fascination with Alaska!

message 17: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Stunning review, Deanna! Glad you loved it!

message 18: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie This one sounds really good Deanna. Yay for 5 stars!

message 19: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Outstanding review, Deanna! I loved how you wove the excerpts throughout your thoughts and feelings about the book! And I had to add it, too! :)

Joanie wonderful review, Deanna! A new Kristin Hannah book - Yay!!

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna Wonderful review, Deanna!

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro “The Great Alone” does not disappoint.
- and neither do you, Deanna!

Deanna PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Deanna! Glad you liked this one. It's on my list."
Thanks, PorshaJo! It's a great read and I hope you enjoy it too!

Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna! It's on my list too! :-)"
Thanks, Norma!!

Lisa wrote: "Great review Deanna!!!! I have to read this book! Always had a fascination with Alaska!"

Ohh I think you will love this, Lisa. !! <3

Nazanin wrote: "Stunning review, Deanna! Glad you loved it!"
Thank you, Nazanin! :)

Melanie wrote: "This one sounds really good Deanna. Yay for 5 stars!"

It was such a great read!!

Jaline wrote: "Outstanding review, Deanna! I loved how you wove the excerpts throughout your thoughts and feelings about the book! And I had to add it, too! :)"
Thank you, Jaline! I really hope you enjoy it too!! :)

Joanie wrote: "wonderful review, Deanna! A new Kristin Hannah book - Yay!!"
KH is awesome! :D

message 24: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Sounds like you picked a winner! Fabulous review Deanna!

message 25: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Fabulous review, Deanna. Sounds like a good one.

Jennifer Sounds like a winner! Thanks for your review.

Jeannie I can't wait to read this one!

message 28: by May (new) - added it

May Great review!!

JanB Fantastic review Deanna, it sounds so good!

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Great enthusiastic review Deanna!

Babydimps (Suzy) Can't wait to read this one! Great review!

message 33: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L F What an inspiring review.
Hannah, is one of my favorite authors, and like you, I await her new novels.
This is one of my favorite books. She is such an underrated author, because she is one of the best of today’s authors.

message 34: by Deanna (last edited Nov 13, 2017 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna Esil wrote: "Fabulous review, Deanna. Sounds like a good one."
Thanks, Esil!! :)

Jennifer wrote: "Sounds like a winner! Thanks for your review."
Thanks, Jennifer!!

Jeannie wrote: "I can't wait to read this one!"

I hope you enjoy it too, Jeannie!!

May wrote: "Great review!!"

Thanks, May :D

Vanessa wrote: "Sounds like you picked a winner! Fabulous review Deanna!"
Thanks Vanessa! It's a great read :)

Ana wrote: "Great review Deanna"
Thanks, Ana!!

Kevin wrote: "“The Great Alone” does not disappoint.
- and neither do you, Deanna!"

Thank you, Kevin!! :)

Paul wrote: "Great enthusiastic review Deanna!"
Thanks, Paul! :)

Brenda wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna!"
Thanks, Brenda!! :)

JanB wrote: "Fantastic review Deanna, it sounds so good!"

Thank you, Jan!! It's really good!!

L wrote: "What an inspiring review.
Hannah, is one of my favorite authors, and like you, I await her new novels.

She really is a great author. I am so glad you liked it too!!

message 35: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Kennedy Your enthusiasm for the author and her words is fun to read and causes me to make a plan to read! Thanks, Donna.

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yay!! Sounds awesome and happy to see your 5⭐️! This ones is on my list. Great review, D!

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Deanna,my dear goodness! What a wonderful review! This book certainly made a great impression on you!! ☺️

Heidi Great review - my TBR list just got bigger :) :) :)

Susanne  Strong WOW Deanna! Color me intrigued.. I only recall reading one Kristin Hannah book but this sounds phenomenal. If it's still available on NG I am so requesting it. Stellar review my friend!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Terrific review De! I can’t wait to read this!!!! 😊

message 41: by sue (new) - added it

sue Sounds fabulous

message 42: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Wonderful review, Deanna! Definitely has me considering it.

message 43: by Frances (new)

Frances A great review Deanna !! :-D

Deanna Louise wrote: "Fantastic 5* review Deanna."
Thank you, Louise!! :)

Lindsay wrote: "Terrific review De! I can’t wait to read this!!!! 😊"
Thanks, Lindsay!!! :) I hope you read it too. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Susanne wrote: "WOW Deanna! Color me intrigued.. I only recall reading one Kristin Hannah book but this sounds phenomenal. If it's still available on NG I am so requesting it. Stellar review my friend!"

Aww thank you so much, sweet lady! I hope you check this out! I think you'd love it!! :) <3

Maureen wrote: "Fabulous review Deanna👏"
Thanks, Maureen!! :)

Mary wrote: "Deanna,my dear goodness! What a wonderful review! This book certainly made a great impression on you!! ☺️"
Thank you, Mary! It really did make an impression. I loved it :)

Heidi wrote: "Great review - my TBR list just got bigger :) :) :)"

Thanks, Heidi! I hope you read and love this too!!!

Tammy Loved your review, Deanna! She's one of my favorite authors too, I'm counting the days until it's released!! ;)

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Wonderful review, Deanna! Glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

message 47: by abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

abby Great review, Deanna! I'll be adding this one to my reading list.

Lolly K Dandeneau fantastic review, I've been curious about this forthcoming novel, now I feel good about requesting it!

message 49: by Deanna (last edited Nov 25, 2017 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna abby wrote: "Great review, Deanna! I'll be adding this one to my reading list."
Thanks, Abby!
I hope you enjoy it :)

Candace wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna! Definitely has me considering it."
Thanks, Candace!! I hope you check it out :)

Frances wrote: "A great review Deanna !! :-D"

Thanks, Frances!! :)

Tammy wrote: "Loved your review, Deanna! She's one of my favorite authors too, I'm counting the days until it's released!! ;)"

Thanks, Tammy! I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it too!! :)

Sarah wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna! Glad you enjoyed it so much. :)"

Thanks, Sarah!! I really did enjoy it :)

Lolly K Dandeneau wrote: "fantastic review, I've been curious about this forthcoming novel, now I feel good about requesting it!"

Thanks, Lolly! I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

message 50: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Fantastic review, Deanna! I will have to check my library circulation list for this one.

« previous 1