William's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from August 27 to September 01, 2011

I loved this book and had a hard time putting it down. I found it to be thrilling, thought-provoking, suspenseful, and very frightening. Bacigalupi pulls no punches here when exposing the dark side of human nature.

Sadly, we still live in a world where people are discriminated against, abused, used, and humiliated for pleasure and personal gain by those possessing abundant influence, power, and wealth. Bacigalupi paints a terrifying future of how much worse life could become if faced with a global threat for human survival.

This book may not be for everyone as some scenes contain sex, rape, and graphic violence. I do not believe these scenes are overdone or gratuitous however.

Those looking for escapist fiction or a clearly defined good versus evil tale may be disappointed.

I appreciated this novel not containing blatant information dumps. You are immediately immersed into a world with bioengineering terms, fictional creations, and conversational slang used by the characters. Admittedly, it was a bit difficult to follow at first, but nevertheless, I believe just the right amount of detail is presented to quickly acclimate and fully comprehend everything. I am a fan of an author respecting the intelligence of their readers.

This book provides several thoughts to ponder concerning difficult decisions one must make when faced with personal moral, ethical, and spiritual challenges.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.